Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Very unstable in snow

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Very unstable in snow

Hi there. First post. I bought a 01 all road with sumitomo touring lst tires a few days ago.I'm in Colorado and took this thing on it's maiden voyage from Denver to Steamboat Springs. I've made that drive 100 times in everything from suburus to different 4x4 trucks to an 02 a6. I've never been in a more unstable car in adverse conditions. EVER. I almost left the thing in Steamboat and flew home. If it sensed any slippage it continually over/undercompensated and almost drove me off a mtn pass once and into oncoming traffic another time. Mind you I had to go 15-35 mph slower than everyone else on the road. I was expecting the AR to really thrive in these conditions as my a6 avant did but it completely didn't. I turned the epc off and noticed no difference.On dry road it is smooth and fast up to 85mph where a slight wobble is detected but i think an alignment will fix that. I have no idea what 's going on but it is a battle to keep it straight on hard packed snow. It wants to go right and left. I was really surprised by this car. The only thing I could think of was the epc or the tires but they are newer with quite a bit of tread. It actually feels like 80 mph wind gusts against the car. Anyway any ideas are appreciated.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sumitomo touring lst

For snow? Here is your biggest problem.

Alignment could be another.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Tires.

Get some snows. Blizzaks are appropriately priced, readily available, and will impress you in the snow. When I bought my allroad 2 years ago it was horrifying in the cold (even dry cold) until I got decent tires. It'll climb trees now. I have to force it to break loose in the snow (which is still fun - when on purpose!)

Local shops will often swap out your summers and winters each spring/fall for free if you buy them local.

If your alignment was off enough to drive that way in the snow, you'd feel something even in the dry.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:49 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Stealth Beige
It'll climb trees now.
That made me laugh. But ya. The car is actually pretty good in snow with the right tires. I had a Subaru STi before this and even that sucked in snow till I got good winter tires.
Old 01-23-2012, 02:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

I agree with the alignment and tire recommendations. Big items affecting snow driving.

Don't overlook a possible dragging brake caliper. It won't cause much headache on dry, but snow and ice it will really mess up the car. The electronics will overcompensate heavily if one wheel isn't keeping speed.

GL!
Old 01-23-2012, 02:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Stealth Beige
Tires.

Get some snows.
I have Nokians

I rain or snow, I'm glued to the road with these things.
I still drive carefully, but these are pricey but totally are worth it.
Attached Images   
Old 01-23-2012, 07:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

I was never so disappointed with my car the first year I had it in the snow, Wouldn't stop Wouldn't corner
I was running on Toyo versado supposed to be the "all season" tire They was crap in the rain worse in snow
I bought some Pirelli snow tires ....Like night and day ...Only one answer ...Get snow tires
Old 01-23-2012, 09:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by waterleak
I've never been in a more unstable car in adverse conditions. EVER.
One sentence... It's not the car.
Old 01-24-2012, 04:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Wow! I like this thread better...

...than the one I started yesterday on the very same subject:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2820643

I was hesitant to characterize my experience as alarming as waterleak, but yes, my AR really did suck in the snow, and my tires are tip-top with excellent ratings from Tirerack.

But here's the thing; why is the traction and control so BAD with marginal tires? I've driven marginal tires before and not had them feel so slippery as the newish Michelins on my AR.

Not argueing here, but has anyone tried lowering their air pressure?
Old 01-24-2012, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by brider
...than the one I started yesterday on the very same subject:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2820643

I was hesitant to characterize my experience as alarming as waterleak, but yes, my AR really did suck in the snow, and my tires are tip-top with excellent ratings from Tirerack.

But here's the thing; why is the traction and control so BAD with marginal tires? I've driven marginal tires before and not had them feel so slippery as the newish Michelins on my AR.

Not argueing here, but has anyone tried lowering their air pressure?
What do you expect traction control to do when you're essentially skating on ice? Traction control works when it get get *traction* at some wheel(s).

Once again, get proper winter tires, then evaluate.

Many people think that "traction control" is a magic button. It's not, it's about physics.

Quick Reply: Very unstable in snow