Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

tranny issues :(

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tranny issues :(

Hey guys,

i have had this issue and never really looked too much into it....when you start from a stand still and you aren't pushing it, rather slowly pressing the gas pedal, the engine revs up but the car doesn't move until i hit roughly 2k RPMS then it kicks (not violently) and starts moving. Though it is not a violent kick its still not a normal feeling to the tranny. Also what i noticed yesterday was i tried to pass on the highway so i stepped on it and it felt like its not pulling as it should be, almost like a slipping feeling on manual trannys. Also it felt like it lost all pull when it hit 5k rpms :s, and shortly after i started to smell a burning smell :s. Almost like the oven self cleaning smell if that makes sense.

my concern is is this a bad tranny I'm looking into? or sounds like it needs a tranny flush and what not? vacuum leak? I'm starting to think i have a lemon of a car, but i just don't want to give up on it just yet.

sorry for the long winded write, i just wanted to get as much info as i can for anyone willing to help.
Old 07-16-2014, 10:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Check Transmission oil level
Old 07-17-2014, 03:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Is there a way to check tranny fluid without a vag tool? There isn't a dip stick so either drain and see or drop the pan and see :s
Old 07-17-2014, 05:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by sanadrustom
Is there a way to check tranny fluid without a vag tool? There isn't a dip stick so either drain and see or drop the pan and see :s
You can carefully do it without a vag tool, if you are confident the temp of the ATF doesn't pass 113F (45C) when you're checking the level and trying to add more ATF. Maybe inconvenient, but it's just the way it MUST be checked.

- Car dead level (front to back and side to side)...close is NOT good enough.

- From DEAD COLD, start engine and allow idle to settle.

- With foot on brake, go through all the gears a few seconds each.

- Leave engine running and >>

- Unscrew the large inspection plug on the ATF pan...NOT the small drain plug.

- Once the temp reaches NO MORE THAN 113F, it should just dribble out. It should be level with the edge of the overflow at 104F (actual checking temp)...if you're not sure, you must add more ATF to assure it overflows.

- In warm weather, it will get to this temperature rather fast 5-10 minutes(?) ...15 mins tops in cool weather.

- If the temp gets above 113F before you return the inspection plug, it will overflow to the point of being under-filled.

>>> Checking hint without a vag tool:
Stick your finger under your tongue to feel 98.6F...if the oil ATF pan is a little warmer than that, you have reached your goal temperature.

Easy as pi

Old 07-18-2014, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

so i called the dealership just to be curious about the pricing...

i guess ill be doing the flush myself cause 700 dollars for a tranny flush is border line stupid, especially the fact i'm mooore than capable of dropping the pan and filling it up myself. The car has 194xxx km's on it(not sure how much in miles) and i have a strong feeling its never been done

thank you all for the input and advise i will be using it all while im doing this work

cheers and will update if anything changes
Old 07-18-2014, 12:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

speaking of doing this,

what ATF fluid do you recommend? or should it be from Audi directly? just trying to find another alternative to getting my wallet stolen by the dealership

Thanks
Old 07-22-2014, 02:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Just curious could this be a torque converter issue? Just a suspicious feeling I have

Thanks
Old 07-22-2014, 02:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't use the OEM fluid when I did mine but I can't remember what I used. It was about $15 per liter and you'll need about 6 liters to properly change out the fluid. All in it cost me about $100 or so.

I would change the fluid and see what affect that has. Certainly cheaper than a torque converter and it's just a good idea to do anyway with amount of km.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

You can always use these kits: Audi Allroad Transmission Fluid Filter Change Kit - Audi ATF, though I would buy an extra bottle of fluid. And it comes with filter, gasket and the crappy pump which works, but kind of a PITA(I got a longer hose for it from Home Depot so you don't have to be under the car when filling it up
I used it on my wife's A6 C5 with good results..