Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

TIRES?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 03:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TIRES?

Live in Nor-Cal. Drive in winter conditions infrequently. Want a tire that will last. Reccomendations?
Thanks in advance , Dino
Old 04-18-2011, 12:14 AM
TJT
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires would probably do the job pretty nicely. They are a bit pricey, but they have a decent warranty of 6 Years / 45,000 Miles and they are Michelin, so you know they are going to be great... If you have the money, it seems like these would be best because they are an all season tire. Since you are in No Cal, you probably will get some snow, so these should be good... I don't know if you were looking for affordable or what... but you should check out http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...&AID=10398365& and take a look for yourself... Hope this helps.
Old 04-18-2011, 03:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check out the latest Michelin MX Primacy also. They're not as expensive as the high performance tires but are 8/10s of them IMO.

Out of the 4 sets we've had on this car over the years; these have been the best (for us, including the recent epic snow here in New England).
Old 04-18-2011, 07:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put new tires on my allroad about a month ago. I considered the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires, but they were too expensive in the stock 18" size. I ended up going with the Continental ExtremeContact DWS as the Tirerack ratings put it slightly above the Michelins and it has a smiliar treadwear warranty, but a fair amount cheaper.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by JustMtnB44
I put new tires on my allroad about a month ago. I considered the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires, but they were too expensive in the stock 18" size. I ended up going with the Continental ExtremeContact DWS as the Tirerack ratings put it slightly above the Michelins and it has a smiliar treadwear warranty, but a fair amount cheaper.
How are you liking them.I may get them next.I hear the availability sucks which would worry me if I had a blowout
Old 04-19-2011, 06:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by MYD-WGN
How are you liking them.I may get them next.I hear the availability sucks which would worry me if I had a blowout
Perhaps get 5 when ordering them. But yeah, I see what you are saying as they may not even have that many at the time.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MYD-WGN
So far I like them. Ride quality is great, smooth and quiet. Grip is excellent in both dry and wet, but the snow was all gone by the time I got them so I can't comment on that but I do plan on using them for winter as well. Some people complain of soft sidewalls, and I think there is some truth to that if you take sharp corners hard or quickly toss it side to side, but so far I don't think it's an issue. I thought of getting the 255/45R18 with XL load rating instead of the stock 245/45R18 but those require a wider rim than the stock 18" wheel.

Yes availability is a problem, but I got mine from Discount Tire Direct, as they had the best price and plenty in stock.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I went with Continental ExtremeContact DWS too (17's) to replace my Nokian WR G2's last fall (great tire also) love them so far, were very good in snow (not the Nokians of course), been great everywhere else. Sidewall is a little soft (always the case with Conti's) but no bubbles yet.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Judge AR
I went with Continental ExtremeContact DWS too (17's) to replace my Nokian WR G2's last fall (great tire also) love them so far, were very good in snow (not the Nokians of course), been great everywhere else. Sidewall is a little soft (always the case with Conti's) but no bubbles yet.
Had them on all four and they were great and then they developed a vibration in the front and the back. Had a few road force balance at the tire shop. They said the tires were fine and told me to check with my Indy. I did that and the Indy said it was the tires. GRRR spent a ton on the Continentals. Still have a lot of treads. So I am living with it until I can afford the Pilots.

Continental are great in the snow. Get the extended warranty
Old 04-21-2011, 01:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I too am considering the Michlein MXM4, great price at Costco (cheaper than tirerack), road hazard incl and tires are filled with nitogen.

Quick Reply: TIRES?