Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Thinking of picking up a 2004 2.7 Allroad

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 11:40 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of picking up a 2004 2.7 Allroad

Hi all,

Looks like I might be picking up a 2004 2.7 bi-turbo Allroad off a friend to use for the winter. It's an automatic transmission, one thing that I wish was different. I hope I can live with it.

It has 101K miles. No CELs and the interior is in great shape. Only issue with the interior is come of the buttons have some paint rubbing off. White is starting to show under them. I imagine that is a common issue.

I don't know much about Audis. My dad had a 1987 5000S. It was unfortunately pretty unreliable. Planning to use this car at least for one winter, but will get rid of it when it starts to give me trouble.

The only issue with it is it is smoking on both sides of the engine cover. Is this a simple case of needing the valve cover gasket changed?

Any particular things I should look for? Overall, the car looks great!

Thanks!
Old 11-18-2015, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yea oil leak on these are always the valve covers, timing chain tensioner gaskets, and the rear camshaft plugs. Do them all at the same time to save a hassle. You may wa to consider transmission oil/filter change if there is a chance you will keep it awhile, they are not bad cars, just air suspension can get expensive. Keep synthetic oil in it, and change it 5-6k miles and be easy on the throttle when its cold, that will keep the turbos from wearing out.

At 101k miles, and timing belt interval is 105k miles, it timing belt was never done, i would highly suggest doing the valve covers, chain tensioner and rear cam plugs at the same time, and do all the cam seals as well. So much easier with everything apart. Do thermostat, waterpump, tensioner, idlers, everything while you have it apart, you only want to do the job once.
Old 11-18-2015, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Prospeeder
Yea oil leak on these are always the valve covers, timing chain tensioner gaskets, and the rear camshaft plugs. Do them all at the same time to save a hassle. You may wa to consider transmission oil/filter change if there is a chance you will keep it awhile, they are not bad cars, just air suspension can get expensive. Keep synthetic oil in it, and change it 5-6k miles and be easy on the throttle when its cold, that will keep the turbos from wearing out.

At 101k miles, and timing belt interval is 105k miles, it timing belt was never done, i would highly suggest doing the valve covers, chain tensioner and rear cam plugs at the same time, and do all the cam seals as well. So much easier with everything apart. Do thermostat, waterpump, tensioner, idlers, everything while you have it apart, you only want to do the job once.

Exactly what "Prospeeder" said is a must!
Old 11-19-2015, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for the guildance guys.

I would like to buy this car and see how it is. The only thing holding me back is the auto trans. :-/
Old 11-19-2015, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Prelude Guy
Thanks for the guildance guys.

I would like to buy this car and see how it is. The only thing holding me back is the auto trans. :-/
Before you bite the proverbial bullet on the AR, do a read on a lot of the maintenance required and also some of the known issues with the AR. Based upon your username, you come from a Honda background and the AR is anything but. I've seen WAY too many ARs for sale on CL which are "one headache too many". For the record, I've always longed for a well-sorted AR, but have almost given up when I see that for the most part, I'd be inheriting someone else's issues and after having my C6 for this long and just helping my dad get a new Q5 3.0T...not sure I could go back to the likes of my old C5.