Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Stupid KeyFob

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 04:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stupid KeyFob

Good day all... so I wanted to change the battery in my keyfob and I was at the dealer so I asked for a battery ... I was told that I had to have 2 keys and since I bought the allroad used I only have the one. So this is when they tell me I have to purchase a second key to program mine... a valet key for 70$. Ouch, but ok, 2 keys not terrible - I did go 4 yrs without, but now I want to sell her and get something newer and Im sure the next owner would appreciate it. So I bought it. Now they tell me I need to program it because of the immobilizer (wish it would have stopped someone from breaking my window last week, but ok). 150$!!!

Here's my question... I have access to a vag and I was wondering if once the key arrives Friday that I could program that with the vag and then program my key fob without spending the 150 for a 10min thing (oh yes, lovely as the guy said, oh we can have it done for you in 10 min and get you in and out... still don't understand the 150dollars though.) All for my stupid keyfob.

Any suggestions?
Thanks!!
02 Allroad
Old 01-06-2009, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I believe that you can't program a key with VAG

I had a similar problem. I bought it used and had only 1 key...had to have a second key made. I was able to order a key-fob based on my VIN, but still had to pay the dealer to program it.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Vag-Com VCDS can prog remote type func. but not Immo...

So you should be able to reprogram your original key that needed a battery, but not the new key.

The orig key won't lose it's immo programming when the battery is removed. So you can just reprogram the remote function.

What VCDS can NOT do is match the key and immobilizer together. So no luck with the new key.

The reason the dealer said you need a second key to reprogram is to follow a reprogramming procedure that doesn't require VCDS. Something about one key in the ignition and one in the door and some magic sequence, I just use VCDS. (This way can not do immo either just remote.)
Old 01-06-2009, 12:36 PM

Default Re: Vag-Com VCDS can prog remote type func. but not Immo...

So could I reprogram the org key without the new key? I just want to be able to hit the button and have the doors unlock and lock.
Old 01-06-2009, 02:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

You can do that, but you'll never be able to start the car.
Old 01-06-2009, 03:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default yes reprogram remote functions... door unlock/lock stuff on orig key...

You'll be fine reprogramming original key it's already matched to the immo for starting... I bet it starts your car right now, right? Its the one your using, so immo is good, just need to reprogram remote function with Vag-Com.

Your second key you can not match to the immo, so it won't start the car.

You can program the remote function on a key that is not matched to the immo it will unlock/lock but will not start the car.
Old 01-06-2009, 03:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default try this I'd really like to know if it works... someone claims it does

Ran across some who claims to have reprogrammed there remote with only one key. I have never done this but if it works it be nice and easy.

"Manually lock the drivers door with the key you are trying to program, then press the 'unlock' button on the remote ONCE only. Then with the key still in the drivers door, unlock then lock the door again. Take the key out and see if the remote works."
Old 01-06-2009, 08:08 PM

Default I just read about it in the manual last night.

There's a sequence you have to do in a certain time frame, IIRC, like within 10 seconds or something. What you said sounds about right. That's what the book advocates to "reprogram" the fob to the car - using one of the buttons, and then turning the key in the driver's door.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: I just read about it in the manual last night.

I was able to program the remote with just one key. As i recall I rolled down my window, locked the doors with the key from the outside, took key out, placed it in ignion in on possition and pressed a button on the key fob, basically following the regular instructions.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:56 PM

Default Re: I believe that you can't program a key with VAG

Ok so is it possible to reprogram with one key? The new key came in... and if I dont have to get it reprogramed...

Quick Reply: Stupid KeyFob