Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

stuck oil filter

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 02:04 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stuck oil filter

ok guys i need some serious help. my oil filter is stuck and i have tried everything. first i started with my bare hands and nothing, then i went to using a strap wrench and that didn't work.i used the "C" clamp pliers and nothing. so i went the old im S.O.L. if i dont get this off method of the screwdriver through it and that still didnt work all it did was tear the can apart so all i have left is the base. after the can tore off i tried using a screwdriver and a hammer to coerce the filter in the right direction and its doing absolutely nothing. im starting to run out of options...
Old 05-21-2012, 05:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

well the shaft in the center the filter threads onto threads right out. might just see if it will thread out of the block and out of the filter. The pry the filter remains off. worse comes to worse, destroy the oil cooler to get it off, and replace the oil cooler, very cheap
Old 05-21-2012, 08:04 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

well yeah i could do that but im trying to avoid replacing the oil cooler at all costs possible as im sure alot of people do
Old 05-22-2012, 10:29 AM
TJT
Audiworld Junior Member

you could try to soak the threads for a couple days and then it should come out easier. PB blaster and other penetrating solutions sometimes do the trick. I haven't tried that with the oil filter, but I don't see why it couldn't work. Maybe give that a try?
Old 05-22-2012, 01:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Not sure how much of the casing remains, but the metal strap type wrenches usually work pretty good, not the ones with the belt but the metal ring type. True, they can slip but if u wrap the filter casing with something that grips well, then put the wrench over that for a tight fit/grip it usually works great.
Old 05-22-2012, 01:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Sgt G
Not sure how much of the casing remains, but the metal strap type wrenches usually work pretty good, not the ones with the belt but the metal ring type. True, they can slip but if u wrap the filter casing with something that grips well, then put the wrench over that for a tight fit/grip it usually works great.
Yep, I was having problems with mine too and I went with a Sears Craftman's (Oil)wrench and it worked like a charm.
Old 05-23-2012, 03:49 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by xxkodiakkxx
ok guys i need some serious help. my oil filter is stuck and i have tried everything. first i started with my bare hands and nothing, then i went to using a strap wrench and that didn't work.i used the "C" clamp pliers and nothing. so i went the old im S.O.L. if i dont get this off method of the screwdriver through it and that still didnt work all it did was tear the can apart so all i have left is the base. after the can tore off i tried using a screwdriver and a hammer to coerce the filter in the right direction and its doing absolutely nothing. im starting to run out of options...
Hi,
I am a mechanic and the tech manager at FRAM Filtration. I feel your pain buddy. Remove as much of the car as you can get off. Get a long sharp chisel (SEARS). If possible, use a heat gun or propane torch (be very careful and have extinguisher ready). Heat the tapping plate around the filter spud till warm. use the long chisel and hammer to start the tapping plate moving. It will come off or it will come off with the spud stuck in it. Good luck and let me know if I can help further.
Old 05-25-2012, 06:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

so your going to be without your car for days and days by not destroying a 20 dollar and half hour to replace part (oil cooler)? really. did you try grabbing and threading out the center shaft? the threads are not what is stuck, its the rubber seal bonded to the steel base. somebody didnt lube the oring with oil before installing the filter and way over tightened it.