Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

So long... Had to take advantage of C.A.R.S.

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 02:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So long... Had to take advantage of C.A.R.S.

My 2001 allroad needed new shoes, a brake job, a timing belt service and the transmission started to go (weak reverse gear).

With 238,050 on the odometer, I could not pass up the offer of getting $4500 for the old girl. Too bad the engine will be destroyed. The original turbos still showed no signs of failing.
Old 08-09-2009, 05:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

It's a shame that you took part in a program that is a scam and an out right lie.IMHO
Old 08-09-2009, 06:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

2nd. That program is a sham and waste of $$ and perfectly good cars that would be better off maintained than building another new car.... people need to look at things from a true "dust to dust" outlook not a newer is better or MPG mean everything.

Too bad.
Old 08-09-2009, 08:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

While the program is crap, it may make sense to do the trade in from an individual's perspective. So, be open minded.
Old 08-10-2009, 02:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

If he wanted a new car he should've sold his for a parts car to someone instead of having it destroyed.Plus the fact he is spending money America doesn't have.I do have an open mind for sensible stuff
Old 08-10-2009, 03:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hard to accept to take a perfectly good car that someone can use and only needs routine maintenance to keep on the road.

Your ar even with 238K is far from a clunker.

And now to 'sell' it, provided that its 'killed' by the dealer makes absolutely no sense at all.
Old 08-10-2009, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, the only thing that will be "killed" is the engine, the rest of the car's parts can and should be recycled - that's the part of the program I disagree with - crushing the car. I understand taking the engines out so that it can't be reused if the goal is to get less pollution and more fuel economy - but as others said, there are lots of parts that could have been used economically on other cars to keep them on the road and safe.

OTOH, spending $3 Billion to take 250,000 old cars off the road and replace them with new ones is a very small cost - compared to some of the other things we're currently funding - like our efforts in Iraq.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by allroaddave
I understand taking the engines out so that it can't be reused if the goal is to get less pollution and more fuel economy -
There will be 10 times more pollution caused by creating a new car than maintaining the old one
Old 08-10-2009, 06:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I think you all have the facts wrong. First while the engines are destroyed the rest will be sold to a junk yard for parts so that the max use is made of whats left. Also, many cars are real junkers so getting them off the road improves our nations fuel economy and puts safer cars on the road. The new cars sold will help car companies make some needed sales as well. In my view the three billion is well spent compared to the 1 trillion wasted in Iraq which is the real crime.

I don't believe its a scam, and while I would not personally vote for the program if I was able, it is far better than most things the government does.

Michael, Chairman, Progressive Libertarian Party

www.prlparty.org
Old 08-11-2009, 03:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

It's ridiculous you guys think it's ok to spend money that we don't have.This and the auto bailout are a mistake.But it's ok with you guys because it's less of a financial mistake Iraq.This attitude got us in this slump

Quick Reply: So long... Had to take advantage of C.A.R.S.