Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Should we try to save it or just move on?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should we try to save it or just move on?

Hey all,

We've got a 2001 All-Road with 183k miles on it and about $9200 worth of work to do on it. The biggest safety issues are the A-arms (forgive me, I'm a chick with no clue about cars/engines), the suspension (no longer working at all) and there's an oil link on the valves that's corroding some other parts. For $6200 they can fix the oil leak and surrounding corrosion, A-arms, and remove the old suspension system and just put in a regular coil suspension.

We are cleaning up financially after a massive business loss that took everything and are trying to avoid major purchases right now. Hell, we probably couldn't qualify for a loan on a toaster right now! So we are left with trying to decide whether to try and save the All-road or driving it into the ground until the end of the year (if it lasts that long) when we can put down a hefty down payment or just pay off a new, used (non Audi...wah) vehicle.

My major concern with spending $6200 on a vehicle that has very little value left in it is the 183k miles sitting on the engine. I would hate to spend that money and then have something else go wrong before the end of the year or even next year. The goal would be to keep it on the road for another 2-3 years.

What do you guys think?

Thanks so much!!!!
Old 02-07-2011, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

First get a second opinion from an indy shop.Second if it is that bad buy another one and sell yours or keep it for parts.Where are you located at?
Old 02-07-2011, 08:11 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by MYD-WGN
Where are you located at?
We are in the metro-Phoenix area of Arizona.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

And this was through an independent import car repair shop, not a dealership.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, I can tell you of my experience. I bought an '02 allroad (107,000) in November. I new it need front airbags. The weekend I bought it Arnott had their group buy, so I bought Gen II's with Bilsteins all around. Cost about $1872.30; install was $620, total $2492.30.
Then the clutch went unexpectedly: $815.00 (clutch) parts plus $210 for a slave cylinder and other ancillary parts. Labor toe repair the turbo return line leaks and do the clutch and slave was $1628.00; total = $2653.00. Grand total is $5145.30.
I still have to do the valve cover gaskets and the right rear differential seal. And there's the turbo question.
I'm keeping it. I love it.
I hope I don't have to sell my house to keep it going.
Good luck with your decision.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Move on

When the cost to repair exceeds the car's value it is defined as "totaled". Although we think of totaled as when we wreck the car and insurance gets involved, it is time to think of future costs to repair. I love the allroad but I got other bills to pay just like you.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

if you don't have the cash in hand or if you're straped for cash, don't spend it on the car. Buy a decen't car with the repair money and try to part out the allroad.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Concentric190
if you don't have the cash in hand or if you're straped for cash, don't spend it on the car. Buy a decen't car with the repair money and try to part out the allroad.
Listen to this guy.
I'm only 19, but I know a thing or two about money; hell, I'm trying to buy an AR this summer.
Any way, dump it, and get a reliable car that you don't need to dump money into.

I'm not saying this as a suggestion, but if you have full coverage and you just 'happen' to lose control and wreck, who knows.

Parting the car out (selling parts that still function) might not be a bad idea either although with that much mileage, I think it's time to retire it.

I'm sorry to hear about your financial stress.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

I need tail lights, a center cup holder, and a hitch if you have it and want to part out.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks everyone for the replies, everyone.

Unfortunately, we can't find anything with less than 100k miles on it that is big enough to accommodate me and my two children/kid stuff for under $10k. We don't qualify for a loan either (tried to buy a used Jeep a few months ago and it was a no go or agree to a 20% interest loan...yeah, right!) We won't have enough $ to buy a car outright until the end of the year and the Audi will not last us that long in the summer heat (mechanic said some of hoses are starting to bubble and it's just a matter of time). With both of us working and with kids, we can't manage with just one car until then either.

This situation totally sucks....it's looking more and more like we're going to have to agree to the payment plan with the mechanic and dump the money into the Audi until things get better for us.

Quick Reply: Should we try to save it or just move on?