Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Seperation Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seperation Question

My bride is an 03 2.7 w/120k on her carriage.

This is my business/personal car & I sure love driving it, however, being a realist I need some input on a decision.

The facts are:
-new front air springs installed @ 80k
-timing belt & water pump @ same time
-routine maintance @ foreign specialty shop

Issues now:
-compressor failure imminent...can't pump past 1...very weak sound...
-rear air springs are shot
-struts are all original & need replaced
-engine warning lite on - shop says emissions issue, no worries..however, $700 remedy to make lite go away.

So, do I...knowing this car has a value of $5-7k or less in it's current condition:

1) invest in arnott rear air springs ($800) / compressor ($400) / Bilsteins F&R ($800)....so far $2000 w/out labor....knowing that the front air springs now have 40K on them or:

2)say the hell with the air suspension...take a practical approach and put on the Arnott coil spring conversion kit @ $1200 + labor and have no future worries? - Anyone tried these...how do they ride/handle? It's not like I need the additional clearance of settings 3 & 4.

3) unload..pretty tuff sell in current condition

4)some other solution.

Should I be expecting other significant issues at this mileage?

Thoughts appreciated.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All I can tell you is what I did.
I replaced the suspension with Arnott Gen II + Bilsteins all around. You can save some bucks by getting Arnott Gen I's instead and the ride will be less stiff and more like stock.
Good luck.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Arnott says its coilovers rest the car at 382 mm. That is 20mm less than the stock ride height, which is a drop of nearly an inch.

I probably would like that, since I'm not a fan of riding high looks.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Your #'s are a little high. It's more like $1500 for everything if you go Gen I's, less expensive Mercedes pump, and then take off %10 with the discount code. Still alot of money and more than the coilover conversion.

If you don't care about being able to raise and lower your ride height then that may be the way to go for you. I like the versatility of the air suspension and keeping what makes the AR unique compared to other wagons, but that is a personal choice you have to make.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

This is a tough one I'd sort of but as other have stated, it's really all about what you want / like. I prefer the air suspension bits myself, so Arnott air springs (with lifetime replacement warranty IIRC) is the way I'd go. If they leak, they replace them (I do the labor, since swapping them is pretty straight forward). Also, if u get snow where u live, I'd think being able to raise/lower allroad would be plenty helpful for bad weather. However, if u don't get snow, dont go off road, etc and just need allroad to run around it etc, then Coilovers would be fine too. Either choice is a good choice, no wrong or right way; only the way best for u.
Old 03-22-2012, 05:32 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Greatly appreciate the feedback.

I live in NE Ohio & the car gets alot of backroad - farm/field lane driving (work)...sees plenty of snow and mud. The mechanic came out to see me at the last visit for boot replacements and said "you sure are hard on the rig". I probably should be driving a Tahoe type vehicle...my previous work vehicles...but, as you know the Allroad makes life soo much more enjoyable if you spend alot of time driving.

I think the question is if I invest the money for option 1 can I expect the car to stay out of my pocket for another 40-50k miles? I need to state that I am no mechanic...my best tools are a hammer & prybar. Guess i'll just go and have a discussion w/my mechanic.

Thanks fellas.
Old 03-22-2012, 06:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

You can always build your own coilovers with your choice of shocks and ebay sleeved spring perches and cheap OEM A6 avant springs, super simple to build and super simple to install on an allroad.
Old 03-22-2012, 05:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jamotom

The facts are:
-new front air springs installed @ 80k
-timing belt & water pump @ same time
-routine maintance @ foreign specialty shop

Issues now:
-compressor failure imminent...can't pump past 1...very weak sound...
-rear air springs are shot
-struts are all original & need replaced
-engine warning lite on - shop says emissions issue, no worries..however, $700 remedy to make lite go away.
I don't see any replies that address the engine light issue or the cheapest and most stock suspension fix. So here is my OPINION:

Problem #1 - Your compressor is slowly dying/tired.

Answer - Do this: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...eer+suspension . It will take 1.5 - 2.5 hours will little to moderate mechanical knowledge. This is a great way to boost the performance of your tired old compressor. Cost: a can of beer, which you probably already have.

Problem #2 - Rear air springs are shot. Join the club. Mine are too!

Answer - To do it cheap, check the classifieds on the forum. You should be able to find two rears, in good shape, for around $300. New they are running $500-550, not $800. The install is, as everyone mentioned, very straight forward.
With little to moderate mechanical knowledge, in addition to the countless write-ups and pics on this here site, job should take around 3-4 hours.

Problem #3 - You have 120k on your struts and you want/need to replace them.

Answer - In my opinion, and without seeing/driving your vehicle, your struts should still have a bit of life in them. In my experience (I lived in Michigan's Upper Peninsula for the last ten years, so dirt roads, national forest fire roads and various other poor excuses for driving surfaces have played a dominant means of travel) theses struts are exceptionally over-built and should last, even in your adverse conditions, through 140-150k. If they are in fact shot (driving still sucks after fixing pump and replacing rear bags), replace them with the Bilsteins unless you have an endless supply of income. The down side is that they do not have real-time valving adjustments like the stock shocks do.

Problem #4 - You have a warning light that is more than likely related to an O2 sensor/Secondary Air Intake system (most common cause).

Answer - Buy a Vag-Com from www.ross-tech. This is an invaluable tool for use on all VW/Audi/Skoda/Seat vehicles. It will allow you, in this case, to confirm and clear the fault code from the ECU. It is also able to read all faults, clear all fault codes, reset service interval reminders, and adjust countless measuring blocks throughout your vehicles systems.

Recap - Don't spend $400 on compressor, spend $0.60 on a can of beer. Buy used rear bags ($300ish) or new ($500). Do those before going at the struts unless you're sure the struts are shot. If they are, Bilsteins for the rear run $385 at Amazon.com. Get a Vag-Com diagnostics tool (because it will save you $$$$ very quickly) and confirm and clear your emission fault code.

Anyone agree/disagree? Again, this in utilizing my experience with my car, as well as probably 100+ hours reading countless posts on AW/QW and allroadFAQ.com
Old 03-23-2012, 04:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by lawdogg
You can always build your own coilovers with your choice of shocks and ebay sleeved spring perches and cheap OEM A6 avant springs, super simple to build and super simple to install on an allroad.
That is interesting, didn't realize eBay sold such hardware. Very tempting to purchase a set of H&R coilovers and throw at the Allroad. Love how they handle my A6.
Old 03-23-2012, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GTA_Driver
That is interesting, didn't realize eBay sold such hardware. Very tempting to purchase a set of H&R coilovers and throw at the Allroad. Love how they handle my A6.
I don't understand ruining an Allroad by taking away its most distinctive feature. If you want coilovers, get an A6 avant.

Quick Reply: Seperation Question