Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

RS6 tips on allroad

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 08:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RS6 tips on allroad

I really liked the oval tips on the near new looking RS6 exhaust I sourced, so I wanted to see about leaving them on. I cut about 25mm off the rear pipes before the rear silencers and used some heavy duty hose clamps to hold up the tips (as opposed the rear rubber exhaust hangers).

I cut away some of the valance, you do not need to do this, the chrome tips are hollow backed, they dont get more than "hot". I can still hold my hand on them after a 50min "boost testing" drive. You also dont need to cut the valance to make the tips fit, at a squeeze you could force them up there and secure them (not with the original rubber hangers, droop too much).

If I hadnt cut away any valance it would have been perfect, but I was operating under the assumption they wouldnt fit and/or get too hot.

The fact Im parked on a patio slab for no particular reason means the car is a little lobsided in those shots.

Something I was surprised at was how noisy the RS6 exhaust is on the 2.7T, for an OEM exhaust. It also drones annoyingly at 1900 to 2050 RPM too, exactly the point the Tip box wants to drive around at all the time. Ive slightly improved this by recoding the Auto Trans to +30 in VagCom (permanent sports mode and holds gears longer).

Last edited by mattsimis; 03-22-2009 at 08:34 AM.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

so wait, do you just have the RS6 tips, or full exhaust?

looks alright, but it looks like you could have made the cut fit the tips a bit better. Right now it looks a bit like trying to put a square peg into a round hole.

Also. You must have no nerve endings in your hand it be able to touch the exhaust after 50 minutes of driving. Ive burned my hand on the exhaust tips of my old A4 after 15 minutes of highway driving. (I was trying to figure out what this hissing noise I was hearing was, turns out it was slush/water dripping onto the exhaust and boiling instantly. I realized that AFTER i touched the exhaust with my hand to see if it could really be that hot. It was.)
Old 03-22-2009, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Full cat back RS6 exhaust, including stock RS6 tips.

Well as I said, I read here they wouldnt fit and from holding them up I concurred, but in hindsight I could have just forced them up. In person and on level surface without the *** jacked up like that it actually looks fine, you wouldnt look twice at it (you know that, something fishy here look). I might make something up out of fibreglass and fill it in around the tips too. Or I could get another rear valance whenever I get the cash to respray the car.

Lol on the nerve endings. Have you seen the RS6 exhaust, the tips are only connected to the exhaust for about 2mm then bend backwards, unattached with an air pocket between the exhaust proper and the tip. It really doesnt get that hot at all. Im running E5 fuel which burns a bit cooler, but not enough to really make a night and day difference.

I have a Infrared Temp Guage here, I can read the temp next time after driving, so you dont have to take my subjective hot description!
Old 03-22-2009, 10:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by mattsimis
I really liked the oval tips on the near new looking RS6 exhaust I sourced, so I wanted to see about leaving them on. I cut about 25mm off the rear pipes before the rear silencers and used some heavy duty hose clamps to hold up the tips (as opposed the rear rubber exhaust hangers).

I cut away some of the valance, you do not need to do this, the chrome tips are hollow backed, they dont get more than "hot". I can still hold my hand on them after a 50min "boost testing" drive. You also dont need to cut the valance to make the tips fit, at a squeeze you could force them up there and secure them (not with the original rubber hangers, droop too much).

If I hadnt cut away any valance it would have been perfect, but I was operating under the assumption they wouldnt fit and/or get too hot.

The fact Im parked on a patio slab for no particular reason means the car is a little lobsided in those shots.

Something I was surprised at was how noisy the RS6 exhaust is on the 2.7T, for an OEM exhaust. It also drones annoyingly at 1900 to 2050 RPM too, exactly the point the Tip box wants to drive around at all the time. Ive slightly improved this by recoding the Auto Trans to +30 in VagCom (permanent sports mode and holds gears longer).
Originally Posted by mattsimis
Full cat back RS6 exhaust, including stock RS6 tips.

Well as I said, I read here they wouldnt fit and from holding them up I concurred, but in hindsight I could have just forced them up. In person and on level surface without the *** jacked up like that it actually looks fine, you wouldnt look twice at it (you know that, something fishy here look). I might make something up out of fibreglass and fill it in around the tips too. Or I could get another rear valance whenever I get the cash to respray the car.

Lol on the nerve endings. Have you seen the RS6 exhaust, the tips are only connected to the exhaust for about 2mm then bend backwards, unattached with an air pocket between the exhaust proper and the tip. It really doesnt get that hot at all. Im running E5 fuel which burns a bit cooler, but not enough to really make a night and day difference.

I have a Infrared Temp Guage here, I can read the temp next time after driving, so you dont have to take my subjective hot description!
Thanks for the info. Drone is a problem in the right situations I would say with most aftermarket exhausts(I know you didn't use aftermarket, but rs6 is probably more like aftermarket then stock allroad exhaust). I know the Miltek exhaust drones occasionaly, that also had single wall exhaust tips which melted the valance on my allroad, but with dual wall like you said that shouldn't be a problem.

I think it looks fine from pictures, nice job.
Old 03-22-2009, 10:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I would like to see a close up shot of each side, from straight back...

similar to pic #3 not pointing down or from the side like one and two.

Maybe a TIA is due here ;o)
Old 03-22-2009, 11:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Lol, all there is to see from putting your face to the exhaust is my shoddy cutting! The point of the post was to inform people that a) it does fit, no need to hack off such nice tips and b) dont cut the valence!
Old 03-22-2009, 12:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

They look very nice on the allroad.
Old 03-22-2009, 12:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the RS6 exhaust too. I went with Borla tips. When I measured it out, there was clearance, but not enough to allow for movement, vibes, etc. I also didn't like the round top of the valence with the oval of the tip.

Is your a regular Rs6 or the sound enhanced?
Old 03-22-2009, 01:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I am very picky and would like an even gap from tangent to tangent....

My thought was to cut a "V" on each side of each opening and weld (plastic weld) the inner edge back on as to look factory and holding say an even 10 to 12 mm gap between tip and bumper.

Actually, I spaced that you said you made a cut when I asked for a close up straight on shot BUT you could email me one, one side only if you wish.
Old 03-22-2009, 02:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Strangely I also thought Id really be bothered by an "oval in a circle", but when I put it in, I just kinda liked the look. Ill take some other photos tomorrow and measure the tips if you want. You can get the current opening sizes from your own AR of course.

Quick Reply: RS6 tips on allroad