Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

To remove light / fog switch: where are the clips once lower dash comes out?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 09:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If your goal is to pass the Transport Canada inspection, then it categorically does.

The fusebox tap allows the foglights to be activated independently of the headlights. Without any other changes, this would allow you to manually turn on the foglights from the headlight switch at any time the ignition key is in aux or on position and without also turning on the low beams. This is a modification favoured by some owners who want to exert independent manual control over the fogs.

The headlight switch tap bypasses the headlight switch and turns on the foglights automatically at all times the ignition key is in the aux or on position.

Thus, with these two modifications the foglights come on automatically whenever you start the car, which is what Transport Canada requires. Mine passed with flying colours. After passing the test, you can leave the headlight switch tap in place for full time DRL or remove it for independent manual control of the fogs.

To be clear, there are no other taps or relays required IF you feed the foglight circuit from a switched source like I suggested in my last posting and the A6 article recommends.

The entire modification took me a couple of hours from start to finish.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:04 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default That is really good news. I just wasn't clear if ...

... the combination of the two achieved this. The other options I have looked at have been much more complicated.

Yeah - that has been my goal. Getting the DRLs going to pass the inspection.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:19 AM

Default It's a bit confusing and the information generally available does not really cover the issue fully.

My local Audi dealer wanted $600 to do the job which gave me the incentive to figure it out by myself. The biggest hurdle was mentally accepting that I had to disassemble a small part of that beautifully put together interior.

It's a lot easier to understand once you are actually looking at the parts themselves. It will seem incredibly simple once you have finished.

Good luck.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Well - I got 90% there in the time we've been posting. One small snag

I'm so close!

I got the fuse tap going and dropped the connector to #2 & #8 behind the switch. Now the only snag is the fogs won't switch off! ... even with the key out Encouraging start though. That was painless considering all the other options I looked at.

On a side note - I had to get a mini fuse tap. The normal sized tap wasn't available. I can still run 10A though and it is working. I just had to route it up to fuse 14 - the interior lights.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default 100% there now. Just picked another fuse. Huge thanks folks.

Works great. I'm so glad it was this simple. Thanks so much for the help on this UteZwei. ArchAudi - thanks for the light switch info.

I now understand why the more complex mod was set up differently. It forces the fogs to start on ignition but then the relay kicks in and disables it on parking and low beam UNLESS you select fogs as you normally would.
Old 11-13-2007, 03:25 PM

Most welcome.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

... and now fully plated. Finally fully legit. So nice.
Old 11-22-2007, 02:59 PM

Default Daytime running light fix for Canada

Thanks guys, its works great, really about 20min work.
cb
Old 01-10-2008, 06:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default If anyone wants pics of most of the steps, message me.

... for importing the car to Canada and making the Daytime Running Light mod. I didn't do a great job of documenting everything but I did compile some of my images to show the basics.
Old 01-15-2008, 02:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Removing fuse #36 and tapping into the switched

aux power lug on the far left with a 15A inline fuse and joining it with a blown fuse and tap on the feed side causes on board diagnostics to complain and beep that a fuse has blown. put the regular fuse back in and all is fine. might have to try tapping into the feed side after the fuse? Did the headlight switch tap easily. The DRL mod is one of the best.

2004 atlas grey