Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Reluctant cold starting diesel

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reluctant cold starting diesel

My 2005 Allroad 2.5 diesel is quite reluctant to start when the morning temperature is below 5c. It seems to fire on one or two cylinders for a few seconds, then it blows a cloud of smoke, picks up and runs perfectly for the rest of the day. mileage is 140k and MPG is about 28 (urban)
So far I have replaced all of the glow plugs, yes they were ALL open circuit last winter! That made some improvement but its getting worse again. The engine has also had two doses of Fortes cleaner with little effect. VAG.COM reports no engine faults.
I have read a few posts on here about EGR valve and inlet manifold cleaning. I wonder if anyone has had the same problem?
Old 02-05-2015, 11:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

on cold mornings i sometimes do 3 cycles of glow plug pre heat before even trying to start the car. Dont know if that may help?
Old 02-06-2015, 05:01 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by dallas0029
on cold mornings i sometimes do 3 cycles of glow plug pre heat before even trying to start the car. Dont know if that may help?
I'll give it try but I'm thinking about cleaning the EGR valve. I seems that this engine is not so good on cold starting?
My other diesel,a Mercedes Sprinter, always starts at first touch of the key whatever the weather- no waiting for glow plugs or anything!
Old 02-06-2015, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by allankennedy
I'll give it try but I'm thinking about cleaning the EGR valve. I seems that this engine is not so good on cold starting?
My other diesel,a Mercedes Sprinter, always starts at first touch of the key whatever the weather- no waiting for glow plugs or anything!
Check power source 10 \ 11 volts on the glwo plugs right and left Heads.
Attached Images  
Old 02-06-2015, 05:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Be sure to really rule out the glows, I have had new bosch ones fail in less than a year. Not sure why. From the sound of it one or two are not working.
Old 02-10-2015, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default checked the glows

Originally Posted by Prospeeder
Be sure to really rule out the glows, I have had new bosch ones fail in less than a year. Not sure why. From the sound of it one or two are not working.
Yes I checked out the glow plugs which were all new last year and they all read a couple of ohms.
Also I connected a test lamp to each one in turn and they are all getting 12 volts at switch on for about 10 seconds when cold. When warm this reduces to zero when hot. Just one of the connectors had come off the plug
The poor starting is always in the morning so I'm coming round to suspecting the non return valve in the fuel line. In fact I saw an air bubble in the transparent feed pipe the other day.
Anyway a new valve and fuel filter are on order.
Old 02-11-2015, 05:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

air in the system will def cause problems....but your correct on the egr valve,if its sticking open slightly,it will choke the engine and cause poor starting
Old 02-11-2015, 05:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

if your engine is the AKE ,it uses an electronic rotory injection pump,tho I have not worked on the audi ,have seen lots of other models,if you leave injection lines loose,get someone to crank the engine over and see if fuel comes from all cylinders,if not,ie,fuel comeing from two or three,others dry,this means pump ecm failing,need a new pump....saw lots of Vauxhall and fords do this with same model pump