Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Radio Steering Wheel Controls

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 05:24 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio Steering Wheel Controls

The radio controls on the steering wheel have only worked a couple times for me. Once on a trip to New Mexico last Fall and second just the other day after manually locking my doors while driving. Now after locking my doors, nothing happens on my radio controls. Are these two related somehow? Are my doors supposed to lock automatically when I shift to drive?
Old 02-24-2012, 03:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bigoom
The radio controls on the steering wheel have only worked a couple times for me. Are my doors supposed to lock automatically when I shift to drive?

Don't know about the radio controls, but possibly its an electric connection corrosion issue.

Doors don't lock automatically like on a Ford or GM product. Do your locks unlock if the airbags deploy?
Old 02-24-2012, 05:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your door locks should lock after 10-15 mph or so. They will unlock when you put the car in park, or shut off the engine.

If it's doing something else, you've got electrical problems.
Old 02-24-2012, 05:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by GTA_Driver
Your door locks should lock after 10-15 mph or so. They will unlock when you put the car in park, or shut off the engine.

If it's doing something else, you've got electrical problems.
Factory default does not include auto door lock. It can be recoded to do it and other different things. See here: http://allroadfaq.com/content/conv_recode.shtml
Old 02-25-2012, 07:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also, if you code for auto-lock, the unlock happens when you remove the key, not when you shut off the car. However, I have a 6mt so the unlock <b><i>may</i></b> happen when you select Park on an automatic; I can't speak to that.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

my radio controls act up too.. they'll work one day then not the next or work intermittently on the road.. how i can tell is how they light up.. when they aren't woking the lights won't be on.. somewhere under the steering wheel a harness is probably loose. :/
Old 02-25-2012, 05:47 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I'll check under the steering wheel for loose wires. The manual or fuse box does not show any related fuses for the controls.

Reason I brought up the door locks is because the radio controls worked once when I locked the doors manually. But the next day when I locked the doors, the controls did not work.
Old 02-27-2012, 02:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Behind the airbag there are a couple ribbon cable connectors for the steering wheel control switch modules. The airbag comes off with two T30 Torx screws (the screws are very tight, you probably will need to use a wrench with a T30 fitting, not a T30 screwdriver).

Each control module has its own ribbon cable and there is another ribbon cable connection to the back of the airbag.

BTW...just in case you need new switch modules there is a pair available in the classifieds.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:15 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I had time Saturday to take off the air bag and check the connections. After wiggling the wires, I found the culprit. The pin connection was not making good enough contact, so I disconnected it and sprayed some liquid wrench, just a little, and reconnected. It has been working fine since then.

Thanks for your input.

Waiting for the control arms and valve cover gasket to arrive.