Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Proud New Audi Owner w/ Hydraulic Questions...

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 07:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Proud New Audi Owner w/ Hydraulic Questions...

Hello,

Im the new owner of a 2001 allroad @ 135000 w/TIP.
I am only certain that the belts and tensioners, turbos and fuel pump have been replaced. It seems solid and also has an additional 7/yr -100,000 mile warranty...
Anyway, I am in the process of ordering the owners and repair manuals, and Vag-com, but until I get them I have a couple of questions that I'd like to figure out- about the hydraulics...
First, are the hydraulics supposed to move a little after you turn the car off? I've noticed a little movement as I walk away and it initially concerned me considering the nightmares I've read about the system when I was researching the car.
Second, it has the up and down buttons separated by the LED's labeled M A N (up to bottom). Is this an indication of height? The amount of movement when the car is shutdown SEEMED to be less when it is in A...so I'm confused...is it a self adjusting system?
Also, what is the best preventative maintenance for the system?

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-12-2009, 08:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Proud New Audi Owner w/ Hydraulic Questions...

Firstly its not a hydraulic system it uses air bags and a compressor (pneumatic). The system is fully automatic but can be adjusted manually. It should not move much when parking the car and walking away that suggests a leak in a bag if its sagging. The leds do represent the height of the vehicle. The only maintenance I can suggest is keeping the bags free from dirt and grit. Other then that all you can do is wait for a component to fail.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default first off, welcome. the system is pneumatic, not hydraulic, but that said, yes, it's normal for the

system to move or "off gas" a little when you exit the vehicle, especially if removing a load like groceries, or if you're parked on a hill and the system tries to self-level. Usually you'll hear it hiss momentarily. You only need to worry when you come out in the morning and the car is constantly having to raise itself up a level or two, as that's an indication of a leak somewhere, either an airbag or otherwise. Try parking with the car in level 3 if you want to save your bags. It seems to raise the car such that some of the grit and grime that wears holes in the bags has a chance to escape, and make sure you raise it to "4" (have to wait until it's at 3 and then press the button again) when you wash it and spray the bags well to remove any loose stuff.
Most of your questions will be answered in the manual, and before you go ordering one, don't look in the glovebox for it. If it's there, it's in a slot right under the steering column at your knees. Many an owner has overlooked a perfectly good set of manuals and ordered replacements, only to find that set there.

Good luck.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default well that sucks...

It does rise every morning- I'd say @ 1 level.
At what point will the car's diagnostics start to notice? or will it?
I've not seen the LED's indicate that it's needing to raise while I'm driving...how long might I have and what are the signs it's over?

I've seen discussions about 2 different part manufacturers and also a coilover kit... what's your opinion?

Thanks for your reply and the welcome!
Old 01-12-2009, 11:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default keep an eye on it. park in L3. is it on the bumpstops (totally down)or just a little down?

parked outside or in? temps have a lot to do with the sagging it seems.

if no LEDs in the dash indicating suspension malfunction you might be OK for a while, but if you've got an extended warranty you should see what's covered and what's not.

aftermarket bags available now for front and rear IIRC. I liked the allroad for the suspension, so I'd keep it adjustable if I had kept the car.
Old 01-13-2009, 02:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default may not be as bad as thought...?

I tried the L3 test this morning @ 40 degrees F. When I returned almost 4 hours later it barely moved- seemed to level itself up a bit, maybe an inch - but it seems I've seen greater movement in the recent past.

I have noticed that when it slumps it seems to do it as a pair - meaning the L + R seem level in their movement- might this mean anything? BTW- The level sensor has been replaced.
Old 01-13-2009, 03:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default well, there's only an inch between each level 1-2-3, so an inch recovery equals one whole level

setting. (5.6", 6.6", 7.6" and 8.2" of ground clearance at the diffs at each setting 1-4 respectively) If it recovered that much that's a lot in only 4 hours, but again, it depends....was that the "uphill" end of the car that raised? that could be normal leveling once the car is started. As with any scientific test, the more trials the more likely the correct diagnosis.