Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Problem with cigarette lighter/cell phone charger

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 08:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with cigarette lighter/cell phone charger

For some reason my cell phone charger only works in the cigarette lighter that's in the rear hatch, not in the front console lighter or the one in the back seat. Any ideas why?

I just bought an LG VX8600 Chocolate flip from Verizon. So far I've tried 2 brand new car chargers from Verizon. Both chargers work in the cigarette lighter that's in the rear hatch area, and both don't work (i.e., they don't charge the phone) in the lighters that are in the front ashtray or the rear seat area.

My old phone (a Verizon LG VX6100) had a charger that worked in all 3 lighters.

I looked in the Audi owner's manual and it said that all 3 cigarette lighters are 12 volt. But for some reason there appears to be something unique about the rear hatch one that is different than the other two.

Anyone have any similar experience with some but not all of the cigarette lighters working on devices?

My car is under warranty and I'm bringing it in for service tomorrow, so maybe they can do something. Verizon has no idea.

By the way, the VX8600 is an awesome phone. Highly recommend it!
Old 01-22-2007, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Check the fuse - 15A in spot 33 IIRC - driver's side of dash, also watch the alignment of charger...

...unless the ground tines on mine are perfectly lined up vertical, there is a chance that they can contact the positive pins on the socket, and short the fuse. It's a really weird issue, but the pos/neg interface socket is strangely not as one dimensional as you'd hope.

HTH
Old 01-22-2007, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default two different size plugs in use.

most american cars use a ~20.75mm diameter plug and most european cars have a ~21.25mm diamater plug. that 1/2 mm might not sound like much, but if your cell charger was narrower for the US plug, it might be having dificulty staying in contact in the relatively low-depth plug in the center console. I think the plug in the back is deeper and may be just enough so to keep the plug straigher and in contact with with the electrical connections.

FWIW, I have seen adapter rings (one came with my old passport radar detector) which go around a us based plug to make them wider and more stable in a european car cig lighter outlet.<ul><li><a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Car_cigarette_lighter">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Car_cigarette_lighter</a</li></ul>
Old 01-25-2007, 06:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Resolution: dealer replaced the fuse. Thanks for the tips.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Cigarette lighter outlet not functioning

"For some reason my cell phone charger only works in the cigarette lighter that's in the rear hatch, not in the front console lighter or the one in the back seat. Any ideas why?"

I am having the same issue. Only outlet that works is the truck, I am baffeled. Anyone aware of a fuse that controls these outlets? Strange thing is that it seems there is power getting to the non working outlets but I cant be certain about that.
Old 12-19-2012, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

The outlet in the trunk runs off of a separate fuse than the two in the cabin. The fuse in the the DS dash panel but I'm not sure which one.

I found out about this when one of my USB chargers kept popping the fuse for some reason. The trunk outlet still worked but the other two didn't.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Awesome, thanks for this information. Can I ask you to clarify what DS Dash panel is? Does that mean under the Driver Side? Thanks!
Old 12-19-2012, 01:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

I mean the driver's side dash panel. The one you have to open the door to get to. Most of the in car fuses are located here.
Old 12-24-2012, 05:29 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by G0to60
I mean the driver's side dash panel. The one you have to open the door to get to. Most of the in car fuses are located here.
You rock one 15 amp fuse fixed it thanks!