Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Paging Ex or other techs out here: Ever used brake cleaner spray to detect vacuum leaks?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paging Ex or other techs out here: Ever used brake cleaner spray to detect vacuum leaks?

An employee here probably has a hard to detect vacuum leak on her Passat, one that a mechanic did not visually detect last week. My lead diesel mechanic says he selectively uses brake cleaner spray on a cold engine to hear if it gets taken in at suspected points of entry by listening and looking for engine idle performance changes (caused when it enters the intake stream). Any other ideas?
Old 05-21-2008, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Throttle body or carb cleaner works well too. Engine will increase in speed when you hit the leak
Old 05-21-2008, 10:10 AM

Default DO NOT!!!! USE BRAKE CLEANER FOR THIS PURPOSE!!!!!

Chlorinated cleaners "Brake cleaner" Trichlorothanes and the like, produce HIGHLY poisonous gases on burning! Use carb cleaner or WD40, or PB blaster. Just be careful of flashover using carb cleaner. Don't ask how I know.
Old 05-21-2008, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I've heard of it but never done it before.

I'm a bigger fan of the mechanic's stethoscope, or the ghetto version of a tube stuck in one ear, listening for air flow.

That said, I've heard of either non-chlor brake fluid or carb/choke/throttlebody cleaner be used for this same effect.
Old 05-21-2008, 10:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default FYI - non chlor won't produce ChemBio gasses.

And, it may raise MPG! Acetone!

Link to MSDS on a sample n-c bc.<ul><li><a href="http://www.scribd.com/doc/2222744/Lawson-Products-Inc-Nonchlorinated-brake-cleaner">http://www.scribd.com/doc/2222744/Lawson-Products-Inc-Nonchlorinated-brake-cleaner</a</li></ul>
Old 05-21-2008, 10:21 AM

Default Be sure it is a combustible fluid (be careful first & foremost).

Some are non flamable (chlorinated cleaners - CRC brakleen for one). These chemicals are also potentially damaging to thermoplastics, and emit hazardous gases when heated and worse when combusted.

Other things to use: ether (starting fluid), propane from an unlit torch.

Safety first, be prepared for fire, have an extinguisher at your side.
Old 05-21-2008, 10:21 AM

Default Use a propane torch

unlit of course. A section of rubber hose with a metal tube inserted in the end will allow you to direct the propane into tight areas. A fender cover can be used to shield this effort from any air being blown around by the cooling fan.
Old 05-21-2008, 10:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default this seems like work best done at curbside. :)

that's where all of my work is done.

1 - lots of oil changes - each one leaves a little less of an oil spot on the road

2 - miltek cat-back install - this took place over the course of a week. i ran into some "problems" during the install [read: missing tools, rain, darkness]

3 - a6 ABS module removal and reinstall - only left a huge pool of windshield fluid on the road - sadly it didn't wash away the oil spots...

i'm hoping to borrow my friend's garage for the hitch install. however, i haven't completely ruled out the street yet. j.
Old 05-21-2008, 12:16 PM

What really sucks is the non chloro, doesn't work anywhere near as well, cleaning brakes
Old 05-21-2008, 12:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

LOL yes sir, is there any other way? =)

Quick Reply: Paging Ex or other techs out here: Ever used brake cleaner spray to detect vacuum leaks?