Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

New Allroad Owner - 2005

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 06:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Allroad Owner - 2005

Just bought a 2005 Allroad today. I've always been a Volvo guy, but the deal seemed to good to pass up + I've always loved the Allroad.

I'm obviously new to the forum + have worked on my Volvo's over the years, but Audi is a different animal. I'm guessing this forum is no different + has some excellent threads/links to great mods for the car. Would anyone mine posting some links to their favorite mods or even just common problems for the Allroad that I may be coming across in the future?

Also, what is a great manual to get started with the car to get familiar with it? I've always used Haynes with Volvos, but wasn't sure if those were good with Audi's as well?

I'm new to the brand so go on easy on me, but want to learn a good bit about the car. She drives like a champ so far
Old 10-03-2013, 02:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Everyone says the best bang-for-buck mod are Hotchkis sway bars.
They go on sale all the time at many locations so keep your eyes peeled.

Go out an buy an Bentley Manual right now. That's who makes our service manual: Bentley Publishers.

What can go wrong with the car? everything.

I hate to burst your bubble, but it made it into the 10 worst used vehicles you could buy.
But if you spoil it, she'll not spit in your face as often.
Old 10-03-2013, 03:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yea. Read a lot of reviews on the maintenance. Almost didn't go for it, but it was too tempting. Here's to not to regret.

Thanks for the tips. I'm a newbie to the Audi world.
Old 10-03-2013, 05:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bfrancese
Just bought a 2005 Allroad today. I've always been a Volvo guy, but the deal seemed to good to pass up + I've always loved the Allroad.

I'm obviously new to the forum + have worked on my Volvo's over the years, but Audi is a different animal. I'm guessing this forum is no different + has some excellent threads/links to great mods for the car. Would anyone mine posting some links to their favorite mods or even just common problems for the Allroad that I may be coming across in the future?

Also, what is a great manual to get started with the car to get familiar with it? I've always used Haynes with Volvos, but wasn't sure if those were good with Audi's as well?

I'm new to the brand so go on easy on me, but want to learn a good bit about the car. She drives like a champ so far

Is the car automatic or manual? The cheapest and best mod for power is a stage 1 tune. Gives you 310-320 HP on 91 octane and 330-340 lbs-ft of torque.

But before you do that, ensure the car is running optimally. Buy VCDS (aka VAG-COM) from Ross-Tech. You will not want to own this car (or any VW or Audi) without this amazing diagnostic tool. You will have access to everything the dealer has with his computer.

Sway bars from hotchkis (h-sport). A good mod.

Change transmission oil. Do it properly, lots of guides and info in this forum.

Also hang out lots on the C5 A6 forum. Identical car (with the 2.7T), lots of similar issues and procedures. It has higher traffic.

There is an "Allroad buyer's guide" on a different forum. Google that phrase and read it.

But before you spend any money on mods, make sure the maintenance on the car is up to par. Is it time for a timing belt?
Old 10-03-2013, 05:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by GTA_Driver
Is the car automatic or manual? The cheapest and best mod for power is a stage 1 tune. Gives you 310-320 HP on 91 octane and 330-340 lbs-ft of torque.

But before you do that, ensure the car is running optimally. Buy VCDS (aka VAG-COM) from Ross-Tech. You will not want to own this car (or any VW or Audi) without this amazing diagnostic tool. You will have access to everything the dealer has with his computer.

Sway bars from hotchkis (h-sport). A good mod.

Change transmission oil. Do it properly, lots of guides and info in this forum.

Also hang out lots on the C5 A6 forum. Identical car (with the 2.7T), lots of similar issues and procedures. It has higher traffic.

There is an "Allroad buyer's guide" on a different forum. Google that phrase and read it.

But before you spend any money on mods, make sure the maintenance on the car is up to par. Is it time for a timing belt?
Thanks for this. I plan on just driving it for at least a solid 6 to 9 months before even touching it. The belt appears solid, but it is getting close to that mark where it might be creeping in for a change. Though "used" it has an extended warranty which made me feel solid on the purchase. Doesn't mean headaches will go away of course.

Again thanks for these tips. Makes a world of difference having knowledge people here. I'm already getting a bit more familiar with the forums + diggin through search function. Just want a good head start to taking care of the vehicle.
Old 10-03-2013, 06:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Welcome to the club.

Things you should do or look at soon are:

Timing belt
Turbos (if 2.7T, listen if they sound like a dentist drill)
Air suspension (leaks or slow getting up to different levels)
Clunky or wandering steering (most likely front control arms)
Transmission fluid change

Those are usually the big ones to keep tabs on. There is a wealth of knowledge here and on other forums so if something comes up try a search and I'm sure something will pop up. If you have questions though this forum if very helpful with very knowledgeable people.
Old 10-03-2013, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

The belt appears solid, but it is getting close to that mark where it might be creeping in for a change.

Change the TB based on mileage and years. It's every 75K miles (official number).
Old 10-03-2013, 08:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hotchkis sway bars changed my 04 from feeling like the Queen Mary in the corners and I pulled the power steering boost relay (#605) which gives the steering a tighter feel.
If your 05 is the 4.2 v8 you can forget worrying about timing belts and turbos, they are only on the 2.7 v6.
Old 10-03-2013, 03:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by GTA_Driver
Is the car automatic or manual?
To answer this it's a automatic 2.7T with 89K. I inspected the belt again + it looks like it may have been changed around the 70K mark? Dealer changed out brakes + tires, but didn't touch the belt since it looked he probably didn't have to.

That being said, I've change a few belts on Volvos that appeared to be kosher only to wear fairly quickly. I would guess a double turbo would do a number.

This is all an incredibly helpful start. Thank you everyone.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

To answer this it's a automatic 2.7T with 89K. I inspected the belt again + it looks like it may have been changed around the 70K mark? Dealer changed out brakes + tires, but didn't touch the belt since it looked he probably didn't have to.

That being said, I've change a few belts on Volvos that appeared to be kosher only to wear fairly quickly. I would guess a double turbo would do a number.

This is all an incredibly helpful start. Thank you everyone.
The consensus is that you cannot tell from the belt whether it's been replaced or not. However, it's not the belt that snaps. Usually it's the rollers that seize up causing the belt to skip, bending valves.

I bought my Allroad with 84K miles and did the timing belt with all the extras (water pump, tensioner, etc) at 91K.

Likely you will be fine for the next 10K miles, but if you're planning on keeping the car, I would recommend a full TB job as the first order of business. They're great cars, but their upkeep is more demanding than many others.

Quick Reply: New Allroad Owner - 2005