Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

New to allroad.

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 06:50 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New to allroad.

I just bought an '04 with 90K. My front right airbag is leaking and I plan to replace it soon. My question is, with the milage I have, should I also replace the struts? They seem to be working well now but while I've got it apart, would it make sense to do the struts? Don't know how long the OEM's last.

Also, how does one know if the heated steering wheel is heating? I don't notice any heat at all. Is it subtle or noticible when working normally?

Thanks,
Old 02-05-2014, 08:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Usually the struts last a long time. If they are in good shape I would keep them.

I think 2002 was the last year for the heated steering wheel so you don't have one. I'm not sure why they discontinued it because its a very nice feature.
Old 02-06-2014, 03:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by davellis
I just bought an '04 with 90K. My front right airbag is leaking and I plan to replace it soon. My question is, with the milage I have, should I also replace the struts? They seem to be working well now but while I've got it apart, would it make sense to do the struts? Don't know how long the OEM's last.

Also, how does one know if the heated steering wheel is heating? I don't notice any heat at all. Is it subtle or noticible when working normally?

Thanks,
You can't replace struts because your car doesn't have them. It does have shocks. Don't replace them, the mileage is still good.

Heated steering wheel works when you turn on seat warmer and the temps are close to freezing or lower.
Old 02-06-2014, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Yea, the owners manual says my car has the heated steering wheel and indicates how it works as you say but I cant perceive it to be working at all. Would there be an error in Vag-Com if it was not functioning?
Old 02-06-2014, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Yea, the owners manual says my car has the heated steering wheel and indicates how it works as you say but I cant perceive it to be working at all. Would there be an error in Vag-Com if it was not functioning?
Correction: Your owner's manual says the heated wheel is an option...notice the "*" next to it, indicating it's a factory option.

All AR's come with the same "generic" owner's manual which includes text about all possible factory options (*) available, but not necessarily included on your car.

The "vehicle identification label" sticker in the spare tire well has all the option codes included with your car (plus paint code, engine code, trans code, etc..). If you have the original owner's manual packet (leather bound) that came with your car, a copy of this ID label is on the 1st page of the little "maintenance" booklet.

You can translate all your car's option codes here >>

http://igorweb.org/equidec/

My Allroad doesn't have the heated wheel, but the option code on my A8 is "2ZD" = "Heated leather trimmed multi-function steering wheel with Tiptronic" ...not sure if it's the same code on AR's

P.S. If your label has the code "2ZQ" ("Leather trimmed multi-function steering wheel for air bag system"), you don't have a heated wheel.

Last edited by silverd2; 02-06-2014 at 07:39 AM.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks for the detail. I have noticed the "*"' notation but was told by someone that if you have heated seats or the cold weather package, you got a heated steering wheel. Thanks for the option code resource as well.
Old 02-06-2014, 03:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks for the detail. I have noticed the "*"' notation but was told by someone that if you have heated seats or the cold weather package, you got a heated steering wheel. Thanks for the option code resource as well.
Nope, my AR has the heated seats, but not the heated wheel or tip controls on the wheel...common.
Old 02-06-2014, 05:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2004 with heated seats and the cold weather package (as well as just about every other option and a 6 speed), and no heated steering wheel... I was always told that it was not available in 2004...

Rick