Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Need Some Help Please with Valve Cover 2001 Allroad

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 06:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Some Help Please with Valve Cover 2001 Allroad

Hey Everyone, can you guys tell me how to get the valve cover off on the passenger side. There is a nipple preventing me from doing this. As shown in the picture. I'm not too sure what this part is or how to remove it.
Any ideas? This picture is showing the rear end of the valve cover on the passenger side.
It's a 2001 Allroad 2.7 V6.
From what I've seen out there not too many have this problem with the 2.7's.
Thanks for any help.

I can't seem to attach the picture. I'll try again. Hopefully somebody knows what I'm talking about.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Here is the Pic

Here is the area.
Attached Images  
Old 04-22-2012, 10:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

That's your SAI pump.
Just remove the SAI pump and you should be fine.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

That is NOT the SAI pump, though there are vacuum lines that connect it to the pump. This is an EGR valve (one of 2, the other being in the exact same location on the opposite cylinder bank). The pump is on the drivers side further back. I have removed my p-side valve cover without doing anything with that valve...once. The second time I have to remove my valve cover I couldn't figure it out again so I loosened the 3 allen bolts holding it on. They are a pain in the *** to get at...two of them at least, but you just need to back them out a bit so you gain a smidge of room. It will still be a bear, but you can do it. Good luck.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually, the offending nipple is part of the "combi-valve" on the passenger side. This is the vacuum operated valve which opens during an initial start-up (for a minute or two) which allows fresh air from the secondary air injection (SAI) pump to enter INTO the exhaust gases. The nipple connects to a silicone hose which connects to an electrically operated solenoid. The solenoid is only operational during the warm up phase of the engine (at the same time as the SAI pump runs).

The combi-valve is held in place with two allen key hex screws which are a major pain to remove. These two screws are holding the combi-valve to an adapter mentioned in the previous post. The adapter is held to the engine block by the three screws mentioned. The two allen key hex head screw I mention are accessible under the flange just barely visible in your photo. None of these screws are easy to reach, but by just loosening one group of them it is possible to tilt the combi-valve and slip the passenger engine valve cover out. There is a gasket between the combi-valve flange and the surface to which it mounts...don't damage the gasket as you tilt the comb-valve.

One of the two hex bolts is so close to the exhaust down pipe that you might need to cut the hex key a bit just to slip it into the bolt head. Maybe not, since all you need to do is loose the combi-valve, not remove it.

Last edited by Mr. Timewise; 04-24-2012 at 01:05 PM.
Old 04-24-2012, 03:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

All you need is a medium size mirror like 4"x6" , light, and a ratchet setup to insert a 5 mm Allen, the rest isn't too hard once you see where to place the Allen
Old 04-24-2012, 07:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Mr. Timewise
Actually, the offending nipple is part of the "combi-valve" on the passenger side.
The EGR valve, or as VAG calls is, the "Kombi-valve" are one in the same. As for the rest of the post, all is quite accurate. The two bolts that hold the, oh, what the hell, kombi-valve onto the adapter are much harder to get at IMO than the three on the adapter (all of which bolt to the block if you imagine putting the bolts in sitting in the passenger seat). The follow-up post regarding the mirror...ABSOLUTELY!!!

Remember, you don't have to take these bolts out, just back them off enough to get 3/16 - 1/4" play out of the valve.

Link to replacement EGR/Kombi-valve:
http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-All_Ro...7T/Search/Egr/
Old 04-24-2012, 08:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 12vWhat
The EGR valve, or as VAG calls is, the "Kombi-valve" are one in the same. As for the rest of the post, all is quite accurate. The two bolts that hold the, oh, what the hell, kombi-valve onto the adapter are much harder to get at IMO than the three on the adapter (all of which bolt to the block if you imagine putting the bolts in sitting in the passenger seat). The follow-up post regarding the mirror...ABSOLUTELY!!!

Remember, you don't have to take these bolts out, just back them off enough to get 3/16 - 1/4" play out of the valve.

Link to replacement EGR/Kombi-valve:
http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-All_Ro...7T/Search/Egr/
There is no EGR valve on these engines. ECS is just being stupid and calling it an EGR valve "aka" Combi Valve.
Old 04-25-2012, 03:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ezveedub
There is no EGR valve on these engines. ECS is just being stupid and calling it an EGR valve "aka" Combi Valve.
Thanks for the clarification. I did a bit of research to finally come to the same conclusion. Most parts websites actually refer to it as an EGR valve as well, not just ECS. I think I remember even seeing it in the Bentley manual. I'll dig that out and check too. Sorry to all that I may have confused or disagreed with
Old 04-25-2012, 09:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Since I was stupid and screwed up calling it the wrong name, the Combi Valve actually isn't even in the Bentley Manual when you are trying to remove the valve cover.
Not a great design, but we have solutions!

This should help you out, mate.

Combi Valve Questions in Regard to Valve Cover Removal

And this little tid bit might clear things up:
Removal one bolt, loosen the other, and swivel it out of the way

Last edited by 09mehashaw; 04-25-2012 at 09:53 PM.

Quick Reply: Need Some Help Please with Valve Cover 2001 Allroad