Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Need some help deciding

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 10:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some help deciding

Okay.....I am comparing two completely different cars. I have recently come into some significant financial problems, and am selling a 2006 Porsche Boxster. (anyone looking for one?) I'd like to replace it with an all wheel drive wagon. I know, huge change of vehicles, but I've also recently moved to Sacramento, CA, and I love going to Tahoe for skiing, camping, and biking. So I went and looked at an '05 allroad with about 63K miles. Asking price was around $19K. I've also looked at some Subaru Outbacks, '06 models with about 50K miles for only $15K. It's only one year difference, and it's only about 10k mile difference, but I'm looking at maintenance cost. Is the Audi going to cost me an arm and a leg in a few years? I've read about the airbag issues and the turbo issues. I LOVE LOVE LOVE this car and how it drives, but I'm afraid of the maintenance issues that I've read about. (car is at 63K miles, so it doesn't qualify for the pre-owned warranty by about 3K miles). The Subaru's are much more simplistic (smaller as well), but I think that since they are a no frills all wheel drive, the maintenance will be cheaper. I will be missing out of the "wow" factor, but if it saves me thousands of dollars over the next few years, then I'd be okay driving the Subaru.

I had a 2004 Audi A4 sedan, and I loved that car, so I'd love to get back into the Audi family. I'm just afraid of maintenance cost, and the cost of premium fuel of the dismal allroad mpg vs. the regular fuel cost of the frugal Outback mpg.

I want luxury, but I'm a cheap bas*#rd. What should I do?!?
Old 06-27-2009, 05:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Real simple.. go with the SUBIE.

If you have financial concerns the the allroad for long term is not for you. Timing belt service... maintanance is an easy 1000.00 +. A single air spring is 299.00 + 2 hours of labor unless you like to DIY. Brakes are simply 300-350.00 in parts alone for the fronts a bit less for the rear. Plus labor.

Ad to this the electronic gremlins, and its a no brainer.
Old 06-27-2009, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

I've owned three subarus and two allroads. maintenance on allroad will be considerably more. Even gas - premium vs regular. You wont want one without a warranty, IMHO. Especially a 2.7 tip.

You can get an extended warranty from a third party. Check with bruce m on the forum here. And, honestly, he can probably get you an allroad for a much better price than you posted.
Old 06-27-2009, 01:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Inclusive Warranty = AR
No Warranty = Run

I bought an 04 with 32k miles. So far I have had to replace torque converter, transmission, two front air bags, front bushings twice, throttle body, cam shaft seal, prop seal, turbo line seals, tire pressure sensor module, all to the tune of about $15k, 14K of which has been covered by the warranty.

Good news...TC was changed mid-04 so maybe not an issue, airbags have cheaper arnott solution, 4.2 version has no turbo issues.

Michael
Old 06-30-2009, 04:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

thanks for the help guys.......first off, I need to sell the Boxster......(anyone wanna buy one?) After that, I'll probably go the Subi route.....would love an allroad, just don't want the possible headaches an potentially expensive repairs.