Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Need purchasing tips for an 01 with 100k miles..

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 07:33 AM
bkw
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need purchasing tips for an 01 with 100k miles..

Hey all,

Looking at purchasing an 01 Allroad from a private seller that had recently eclipsed 100k. Going to check it out this weekend, but would like to be armed with some knowledge and things to look for on my test drive & inspection.

Specs are:
01 Atlas Gray Tip
103k miles
original owner claims he's had all all regular maintenance, but does not have all receipts or service history.
non-smoker
everything works
no known problems
unmolested (unchipped, not lowered, etc)

I'm quite familiar with the 1.8T motor, but not as much with the 2.7t. From the S4 forums, I do remember things like F hose, k03 oiling issues, and weak bypass valves, leaky washer fluid (all audis), but that's pretty much it. This car will hopefully see about 15k miles/yr, and we need it to be as reliable as possible.

*What should I look/hear for when the motor is started (cold start)?
*How should the tip tranny react?
*What sort of maintenance should have been performed by 100k? Timing belt? tranny?
*What should I look for as I test the suspension?

Thanks!
Old 10-26-2006, 07:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Need purchasing tips for an 01 with 100k miles..

If you search the threads there is a lot information on the specifics with this car. If you care about your car you keep your service history up to date IMHO. So to me that would be a reason to stay away from this one. Maybe take it to an experienced Indy Shop or dealer to look at it?
I am very happy with my car, but as mentioned in the above threat, currently my Torque Converter is about to give up. This could cost you close to $2,000 and the car is not showing much more indications than the MIL (resetable and only some slight RPM variation during cruise as an indication).
Suspension Air Bags are another costly and not rare failure on the Allroad.
Old 10-26-2006, 08:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Need purchasing tips for an 01 with 100k miles..

Trannys/TC have been dropping like flies lately. Bad seal in TC no preventive steps will work other than replacement.

Engine is solid. The allroad has all the post 2000 2.7t fixes. Boost leaks are always possible. Take on the HW and make sure the car runs fine over 4K rpms.

If the owner hasn't replaced the front air springs you should expect to replace them shortly. Leave the car in level 1 over night to check for leaks.

Check to see if CV boots have been replaced. If not expect those to go soon.

Vag-com the car for any extraneous codes. Never take the word of the seller. Indi inspection is also advised.

Timing belt service is at 105K so expect to do this soon if the owner followed the maintenance schedule.
Old 10-26-2006, 09:00 AM

Default Don't.

torgue converter replacement $2500
tranismission replacement min $4500
cvboot replacement $250 per corner
timing belt (mandatory at 100K) $300-$600
tranismission service $300
turbocharger replacement...no idea min $1000

I have 92K on my 01. I bought it in June of '06.
When I review this mandatory expenses and possible expenses based on posts on this site,,, I'm putting my in the Autotrader. The car is fast, it's fun and it's stunning. However it's an economic catastrophe waiting to happen.

If you have you're heart set on an allroad get one wwith 40-50K miles and a warranty.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 10-26-2006, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default My 01 Experience...

Original Owner (6 speed not Tip) 85k miles
- Front air springs and turbo lines $3,000
- Timing Belt and Tune $1,800 I think
- Upper Control Arms (not sure how many yet - goes in Tuesday)
- 1 CV Boot $200

I don't abuse it so I don't expect catastrophic turbo issues but I do hope to keep it without major surprises for another couple years and another 25k miles.
Old 10-26-2006, 10:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You're probably way low on the tb service. It's 350ish just for the parts. Many dealers charge

over $1000 for the service. IMO, there's nothing wrong with purchasing an 01 allroad but you better: 1) KNOW the service history for sure and 2) be able to do your own maintenance or have a good indy lined up that can maintain it (and, expect to pay for it) and 3) have the car inspected by someone that knows the breed and can truly assess its condition.

The car will last a long time if properly maintained. And, even if you have to sink some money into it, it's still a better performing and looking vehicle than anything in its pricerange. You should be able to buy an 01 with that mileage pretty cheap so even if you had to sink 10k in it, no car on the road could really compete with it. Buy the newest, lowerest mileage, best maintained example you can afford and realize that you can't really own one on the cheap...
Old 10-26-2006, 12:28 PM
bkw
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Yikes! You've guys got me totally worried now! Any reasons to get one??

Thank you all for the help, I've asked the seller about the TB, tranny, CV's, and air springs. Hopefully he's replaced most or will be more forthcoming with me now that he knows I know more about the car than he initially had thought.

Also, this knowledge is great leverage when working out the final purchase price if I do decide to buy it.
Old 10-26-2006, 12:55 PM

agreed on the TB cost, and turbo replacement is around $4700 since the engine needs to be pulled.
Old 10-26-2006, 12:59 PM

Default Just make sure you have funds available for repairs....

overall, the car is a great car, I loved mine, and miss it to an extent, but don't miss the cost involved. In one year, I spend enough for 50% of the cost of my new car. Being that I owned my allroad, and did not have payments, it just seemed crazy to me that I was averaging about $800 a month to keep it running in the last year I owned it....suspension, brakes, turbos, and other electrical gremlins. If you get all those worked out, you will be fine and the car will be good to you.
Old 10-26-2006, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For me? It's essentially a B5 S4 with more than carseat room in the backseat

Quick Reply: Need purchasing tips for an 01 with 100k miles..