Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

My new 2002 allroad with 18K miles

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 07:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My new 2002 allroad with 18K miles

Hi all,

I've reentered the world of Audi ownership with an incredibly clean 2002 Allroad with only 18K miles. Here's a link to some pics:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/osunic...7645849489143/

This was a weekend car of a lady who decided to trade it in for something smaller. It's been meticulously maintained and mostly garaged for the past 12 years. Car's in great shape and everything works. The Audi dealer looked it over and proclaimed it to be in good health.

It's a time capsule of Audi at its best. Enjoy.

-n.
Old 07-20-2014, 07:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

gorgeous!

wow!

best of luck with her !
Old 07-21-2014, 02:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by OSUNick
Hi all,

I've reentered the world of Audi ownership with an incredibly clean 2002 Allroad with only 18K miles. Here's a link to some pics:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/osunic...7645849489143/

This was a weekend car of a lady who decided to trade it in for something smaller. It's been meticulously maintained and mostly garaged for the past 12 years. Car's in great shape and everything works. The Audi dealer looked it over and proclaimed it to be in good health.

It's a time capsule of Audi at its best. Enjoy.

-n.
Amazing mileage for that age....but remember, even without mileage, rubber (esp German rubber...weak spot) ages a lot in 14-15 yrs. If the timing belt has never been changed, age alone (esp in a dry environment) might dictate that precaution....and look closely at axle and ball joint boots for dry rot and cracking.

Good luck
Old 07-21-2014, 04:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's a Kermit!!!! Our "new" '05 kermit with 79K miles blew out all its coolant yesterday. It had a timing belt job done just before our purchase. Haven't had a chance to check it out yet. But along with the rubber bits Sam mentioned, be aware of the plastic crap too, like the thermostat housing. When I did the timing belt on our other Allroad, I replaced that piece of junk with the metal housing from an S4.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Preventative maintenance seems prudent. Another question for you allroad folks. In my my old A6 Avant, I had a cupholder where the nav controls are in my new car. It looks like all 2002 allroads have a **** there for adjusting settings like turning the TPMS on and off. Is there another solution for adding another cupholder up front? An insert for the armrest, perhaps?

Thanks!
Old 07-21-2014, 10:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 2002 allroad has a cup holder in the spot where the **** is but mine doesn't have TPM so that's why.

You can add cup holders to the arm rest cubby if you want. Like this:

Old 07-21-2014, 11:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Awesome! That's all i need. Also, I have the old analog OnStar. I know nsxjr is no more, is there another way to get bluetooth working with the steering wheel controls, or should I just give up and use an aux input plus external bluetooth adapter?
Old 07-21-2014, 08:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Silly question, I searched but couldn't find a definitive answer. How long does it take the car to change ride heights? Mine seems to take a minute to go from 2-3.
Old 07-22-2014, 03:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by OSUNick
Silly question, I searched but couldn't find a definitive answer. How long does it take the car to change ride heights? Mine seems to take a minute to go from 2-3.
That time seems about right.

I would agree with the comment about some rubber parts wearing out due to time vs miles. My wife's '02 allroad needed a new timing belt at 7 years even though it only had about 30K miles. Also had to replace front and rear prop seals, a vac hose and a couple of boots due to age only. Recently had to replace the rear air springs as well due to bladder leaks. Even though today the car still looks like new with only 48K miles, time alone does take a toll.

On a 12 year old allroad, at the least, I would invest in the full timing belt, water pump, tensioners replacement to play it safe safe. You don't want to take a chance on the belt failing without warning as you would be in a world of engine rebuild hurt.
Old 07-22-2014, 12:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Makes sense. How did you know the belt needed replacement? Or was it just based on age?

-n.

Quick Reply: My new 2002 allroad with 18K miles