Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Multiple codes. Looking for input

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 04:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Multiple codes. Looking for input

Purchased a 2004 AR 6speed 2004 model with 52,000 on it earlier this month. Have put on around 3,000 miles. Took the car in yesterday because the abs/esp and suspension light came on. Looks like front right speed sensor. Having that replaced next week.

A list of other faults popped up though that I'm concerned about-mainly because I don't know enough and having a code just sounds bad...! List attached.

I just had the temp sending unit replaced after this list was created which may or may not have an affect on the exhaust gas temp sensors 1 and 2 and implausible engine temp. What worries me is the misfires detected and what does this mean?

Input greatly appreciated

(posted on another audi forum as well-not sure which gets more traffic)
Attached Images  
Old 02-21-2014, 06:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

You'll need to fix or replace your egt sensors. New ones are $500 for the pair. Or you can do this:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2850845

Misfire could just be a coilpack at the end of it's life. I'd clear the codes and see if the misfire comes back. if it does, swap the coil packs around and see if the misfire moves with the coilpack.

I'd start by fixing your egt sensors. Your car is likely in limp mode because of it causing a loss in power. Also, I am not 100% sure on this, but it may also be enriching the mixture to avoid higher egts, but at the same time is slowing killing your precats.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sb_gli

I'd start by fixing your egt sensors. Your car is likely in limp mode because of it causing a loss in power. Also, I am not 100% sure on this, but it may also be enriching the mixture to avoid higher egts, but at the same time is slowing killing your precats.
It is enriching mixture to keep temps low, it definitely is in limp mode. Limits boost and even worse gas mileage. When you replace, the difference is amazing.

Temp sending unit had no effect on these issues. Fix the EGTs before you worry too much about the misfires. Have your coils been replaced under the recall?
Old 02-22-2014, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Worldwidebeagle
It is enriching mixture to keep temps low, it definitely is in limp mode. Limits boost and even worse gas mileage. When you replace, the difference is amazing.

Temp sending unit had no effect on these issues. Fix the EGTs before you worry too much about the misfires. Have your coils been replaced under the recall?
PLEASE READ DISCLAIMER BELOW**

There's one more option with EGT sensor problems: EGT sensor deletes..$40 plug-n-play. Incredibly easy to install and imitate the temp signal the ECM needs to return the engine to normal running.

A properly operating MAF and front 02 sensors adjust your fuel mixture to proper levels...the EGT's (when working) are just a back-up failsafe system that throw the ECM map (fuel mixture, boost, timing) into limp mode...not noticed if you've never driven it in normal mode. The EGT's do not adjust fuel mixture unless they fail or truly read abnormally high exhaust gas temps...then it's limp mode: low boost and SUPER-rich fuel mixture (rich mixture = cool exhaust gas).

Deletes >>

http://forums.quattroworld.com/class...11.phtml#28162

I'm using these in my wife's car for now (an extended temporary measure), until I get around to opening the sensor boxes and hopefully repairing bad solder joints...common problem with all crappy lead-free Euro-solder...same problem with interior dome light solder joints which I have repaired on both my Audi's. Euro-solder (which cracks with age/heat) leads to a host of electrical problems with Euro cars which are usually falsely diagnosed as component failures and repaired expensively, rather than simply re-soldered.

Installing deletes resulted instantly in MUCH more, smoother power, codes gone and no more "sweet" super rich exhaust.

Personally, I have no fear of continued use of the deletes (I do weekly VCDS readings...easy 5 minutes)...as long as other systems are operating properly, they effect nothing...I'm just missing one back-up failsafe, eventually to be corrected, BUT >>>

**USE DELETES AT YOUR OWN RISK or JUST AS A TESTING DEVICE.

I HAVE NO AFFILIATION WITH THE SELLER...just a happy customer.

Cheers

Last edited by silverd2; 02-22-2014 at 06:58 AM.
Old 02-22-2014, 11:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

" EGT sensor deletes..$40 plug-n-play. "

By doing so, one would kill the car's self-defence system against serious engine failures which can be caused relatively easily e.g. by faulty Oxygen sensor/s, or a weak(!) fuel pump paired with intense highway driving (= lean mixture, high to extreme exhaust temps -> cats die, or even valves melt down in enduring situation). The last example happened in my environment. Previously the guy deleted the above mentioned sensor referring to cost reasons
Old 02-22-2014, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for all the input. I don't want to go the delete route. Sounds risky. Especially since I plan on chipping the car.

I am trying to decide on a vag tool. The top one seems to require a PC. I only have a mac. Other options seem to run from $10-$200.

Anyone able to recommend one that's non PC based?
Old 02-22-2014, 02:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by PetrolBear
" EGT sensor deletes..$40 plug-n-play. "

By doing so, one would kill the car's self-defence system against serious engine failures which can be caused relatively easily e.g. by faulty Oxygen sensor/s, or a weak(!) fuel pump paired with intense highway driving (= lean mixture, high to extreme exhaust temps -> cats die, or even valves melt down in enduring situation). The last example happened in my environment. Previously the guy deleted the above mentioned sensor referring to cost reasons
Like I said, "..at your own risk"...but in defense of the truth and things that actually make sense:

Nothing that can happen to 02 sensors will do "engine damage"...turbo or otherwise. Front 02 sensors only perform fuel trim within a narrow range, AFTER the MAF has set the basic mixture. When 02 sensors fail, they tend to go to the rich end of the scale, but can NOT adjust mixture outside the basic map set by the MAF.

Also, cats can fail just as easily from overly rich mixtures (limp mode), as overly lean.

As for "engine damage" from no EGT failsafe: Non turbo engine don't even have (nor do they need) these, they are there to protect the turbines from over-heating...not the engine.

AGAIN, NO ENDORSEMENT FROM ME...but many use the deletes permanently with no ill effects.
They don't scare me, but I am an uncertified post-apocalyptic stunt mechanic...DON'T TRY ANYTHING I DO AT HOME

Cheers