Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Misfire... so confused.

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2017, 12:33 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Misfire... so confused.

My car started to hesitate rather heavily upon acceleration. The hesitation is not quite consistent.. rather it's typically at lower rpms around 1500-2500. Beyond that the hesitation smooths out. However, when cruising at 65mph the hesitation causes a loud vibration noise in the car. Pulled the code and got P0305 so I pulled that plug out to see how she looks and it looked great. I then moved the coil pack in cylinder 5 (the cylinder with the misfire according to the code) and put it in cylinder 2. Read the codes again and still a misfire in cylinder 2. So I thought o Reilly's sold me a bad coil so got a warranty replacement and reinstalled jay back into cylinder 2 using a odb2 reader. The misfire is still present and still have hesitation upon acceleration. I have also noticed a decrease in gas mileage to approximately 14 miles per hour and the misfire is present in idle and all gears. Haven't changed the spark plugs because moving the coil pack removed the misfire from cylinder 5 to cylinder 2. They look fine. Anyone have any ideas as to what could be firing a misfire. Also 91 octane gas from a top tier certified station had been used consistently.
Old 01-21-2017, 12:36 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by GaudiestMango4
My car started to hesitate rather heavily upon acceleration. The hesitation is not quite consistent.. rather it's typically at lower rpms around 1500-2500. Beyond that the hesitation smooths out. However, when cruising at 65mph the hesitation causes a loud vibration noise in the car. Pulled the code and got P0305 so I pulled that plug out to see how she looks and it looked great. I then moved the coil pack in cylinder 5 (the cylinder with the misfire according to the code) and put it in cylinder 2. Read the codes again and still a misfire in cylinder 2. So I thought o Reilly's sold me a bad coil so got a warranty replacement and reinstalled jay back into cylinder 2 using a odb2 reader. The misfire is still present and still have hesitation upon acceleration. I have also noticed a decrease in gas mileage to approximately 14 miles per hour and the misfire is present in idle and all gears. Haven't changed the spark plugs because moving the coil pack removed the misfire from cylinder 5 to cylinder 2. They look fine. Anyone have any ideas as to what could be firing a misfire. Also 91 octane gas from a top tier certified station had been used consistently.
i should also probably tell you guys that my car is a 2002 Audi Allroad with 126k. 2.7t auto.
Old 01-21-2017, 01:20 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Possibly bad igniter?
Old 01-21-2017, 03:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

So, you are saying the misfire follows the coil when you swap them?
Old 01-22-2017, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Yes, the misfire followed the coil from cylinder 5 to cylinder 2. I also removed the coil while moto as running in hopes that I would notice the car misfire more severely, but this was not the case. When removing the brand new coil from cylinder 2 while the car was running, there was no difference in sound or feel of the running motor.
Old 01-23-2017, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Try swapping the coil to other cylinders to ensure it will follow. Hate to say it, but it sounds like another bad coil.
Old 01-23-2017, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

That's whatvibwant to think... but what are the odds that they give me two bad coil packs? I'll swap it over tonight and see what I can figure out. Thank you all for the advice!
Old 01-24-2017, 05:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

I just checked O'Reilly's site. They list and "Import Direct" coil and a Bosch. Which are you buying?
Old 01-24-2017, 06:42 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

The coils that I bought from them are the import direct ones. They are the only ones the oriellys next to my house has in stock. Think they're just bad coils? Do any of you know much about the ignition control modules on top of the air box? I read that they typically go bad on the allroads but I don't quite understand what they do so I'm struggling to determine if it's a logical conclusion for my misfire.
Old 01-24-2017, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Going to swap the coil to another cylinder now. I'll let you know what I find out

Quick Reply: Misfire... so confused.