Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

In the market for a new car...thoughts on the allroad???

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 07:49 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In the market for a new car...thoughts on the allroad???

Hi folks,

I recently totalled my car and I'm in the market for a new one. I have come across a few allroad Quattro's. I am just curious to know what you all have to say about the allroad???

The one that I really like is a 2004 allroad 2.7T Quattro. It has around 240,000km or 149,000miles and looks to be in really great shape. It's priced right and will be certified - so ready to roll once I purchase it, basically plate it and go.

I am only a little reluctant because of the mileage. Are there any things that I should look out for? Any major problems with the allroad after a certain mileage? Any quirks that I should be aware of - like seat or window motors burning out?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-17-2013, 05:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

This will tell you everything you need to know.

http://forums.quattroworld.com/allroad/msgs/14155.phtml
Old 02-17-2013, 06:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blackbear1975
Hi folks,

I recently totalled my car and I'm in the market for a new one. I have come across a few allroad Quattro's. I am just curious to know what you all have to say about the allroad???

The one that I really like is a 2004 allroad 2.7T Quattro. It has around 240,000km or 149,000miles and looks to be in really great shape. It's priced right and will be certified - so ready to roll once I purchase it, basically plate it and go.

I am only a little reluctant because of the mileage. Are there any things that I should look out for? Any major problems with the allroad after a certain mileage? Any quirks that I should be aware of - like seat or window motors burning out?

Thanks in advance!
Control arms, if they haven't been replaced. Pay attention to turbos. When was the last timing belt changed? There are usually a few oil leaks that you address when doing the timing belt.

Is it automatic? Pay attention to how it shifts. A common point of failure on Allroads (and Audis).

Other than that, just pay attention to every detail - rust on the inside of doors (bottom), make sure there are no dashboard lights and make sure the check engine light works.

Air suspension will need some repairs sooner or later. You will need to replace air springs, which are cheaper from Arnott and provide lifetime warranty.

Are you in Canada?
Old 02-17-2013, 04:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by all_Kobiwon
This will tell you everything you need to know.

http://forums.quattroworld.com/allroad/msgs/14155.phtml
Yes, this link is a great write up.

In short, if you have the extra funds to be able to put into the car for repairs, you will love owning the Allroad.

If you don't like to spend a lot on repairs.....

RUN AWAY FAST!!!!!!

I love my Allroad, as most AR owners do, but if I would have had a crystal ball telling me what problems I would encounter with the car, I would not have bought one.
Old 02-17-2013, 04:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by dotrenrew
Yes, this link is a great write up.

In short, if you have the extra funds to be able to put into the car for repairs, you will love owning the Allroad.

If you don't like to spend a lot on repairs.....

RUN AWAY FAST!!!!!!

I love my Allroad, as most AR owners do, but if I would have had a crystal ball telling me what problems I would encounter with the car, I would not have bought one.
Ive had 2 so it just gets better ..NOT!!! lol
Old 02-18-2013, 04:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Hi folks,

Thanks in advance!
I've had my AR for about 2.5 years now and love it, but be prepared for maintenance cost if your not a DIY person. High level of luxury at a bargain price, but there is a reason for that.

I've spent about $1k in repairs so far for typical stuff like suspension air bags and control arms which I DIYed. Having done would have doubled that. This year the TB service is on the menu as is PCV cleanout, valve gaskets, and aux H2O pump replacement. Only $500 for parts, but that would be more like $2k if I hired done. Rear shocks and compress rebuild are also in the near future. These are all standard maintenance items. If your OK with averaging $1k+ each year for service then go for it. If not then avoid.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Overall, the allroad is a great car for someone who has time or money to spend on it. It's a lot of fun to drive, perfect size (for me and my family of 4) both downtown Montreal and in the country. However, it is a highly engineered luxury car with a LOT of systems that eventually fail, especially being a 10+ year old car. A lot of these systems can be somewhat expensive (or time consuming) to repair. Even trivial things like wipers are a pain in the ***. (The AR has poorly designed wiper arms that require OEM wipers from the dealer, or new wiper arms.)

I love Audis, but there are many annoyances with them (as with VWs). Many parts are way over-engineered, expensive or sometimes hard to find, and can be a pain in the *** to repair the simplest of things. I've had my AR 4 months and I've already spent around $1600 on unexpected repairs such as front suspension air bags, air compressor, valve cover gaskets, & power steering repairs. And now I need to do my control arms, timing belt, and front shocks (~$1600). Another thing not mentioned is poor gas milage. Luckily, I don't put much milage on it.

With all that being said, I love my AR and if you're a DIY person and if you can find a good local indie Audi repair shop that knows what they're doing (and are fair price wise), I'd say go for it. If you just need an AWD wagon for a fair price, I'd say go for a Subaru. They're less luxurious but they're cheaper to fix, parts are abundant and they are generally more reliable. (I've had two Subaru's over the years and mechanically they were bombproof. I still have an 01 Legacy and never have to spend a dime on it and it keeps on going like the Energizer bunny. The weakness is the body rust.)

Good luck!
Dan
Old 02-25-2013, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hey guys...thanks a lot for all the feedback. Your input and feedback definitely helped in my decision. I made a trip down to Southern Ontario to take a look at a number of cars. The allroad being one of them, beautiful car...powerful, handled well, well taken care of, clean car proof...at the end of the day though, I ended up just buying...don't laugh now...a new Fiat 500. Complete opposite end of the spectrum, but I was so impressed with the little Fiat that I couldn't leave the dealership without it.

Again, thanks for all your help!
Old 02-25-2013, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Hey guys...thanks a lot for all the feedback. Your input and feedback definitely helped in my decision. I made a trip down to Southern Ontario to take a look at a number of cars. The allroad being one of them, beautiful car...powerful, handled well, well taken care of, clean car proof...at the end of the day though, I ended up just buying...don't laugh now...a new Fiat 500. Complete opposite end of the spectrum, but I was so impressed with the little Fiat that I couldn't leave the dealership without it.

Again, thanks for all your help!

Nice.. Great or better gas mileage than the AR, and with a Warranty!!! Congrats on the buy..
Old 02-25-2013, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

You're not going to miss 20 L / 100 km mileage in the Fiat. Great choice, by the way.

Quick Reply: In the market for a new car...thoughts on the allroad???