Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Manual or Auto

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 08:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manual or Auto

Looking at this beauty and need some guidance.

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...5&aff=national

Anyone want to share the pro's and con's of each tranny, so I can make a educated purchase?
Old 01-23-2010, 03:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the auto is a known weak part of the car. The torque converter will fail. Due to certain programming in the computer, the auto has Brake - Throttle-Lag. You slow down for a light and if the light changes, you get on the gas, the car will hesitate for a moment.

The stick is bullet proof. Clutches will last over 150K depending on the driver.

Better MPG with the stick too. A stick can handle greater power mods than the auto.

FYI. always have an independent shop examine the car before you buy it. There are too many systems that can fail that some sellers have clue about.

Last edited by paulroad; 01-23-2010 at 03:31 AM.
Old 01-23-2010, 05:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

What Paul said, plus the stick is way more fun to drive (to me, anyway) and gives you a little more control...

Rick
Old 01-23-2010, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

for me going from an auto 2.7t to manual 2.7t was a night and day difference. i can swear the car was a couple hundred pounds lighter! noticeably more responsive and nimble is what i kept saying to myself the 1st 2 weeks in december after purchasing my 2nd ar!
Old 01-23-2010, 08:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by paulroad
Clutches will last over 150K depending on the driver.
Maybe if you live in a place with no steep hills.
My clutch lasted 80k in San Francisco.
Old 01-23-2010, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I suppose that's true. Long Island and NYC are bumper to bumper but flat.
Old 01-23-2010, 09:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd rather replace a clutch than a slushy any day! If nothing else a clutch is supposed to wear out. Those other things are supposed to, in theory, go forever.
Driving in the city...auto is good
Real driving... manual all the way!
Old 01-23-2010, 02:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default just my $0.02

I second paul's "depends on the driver"

The clutch in mine lasted about 175K before it started slipping under power (when the turbos came on) managed to make it last to 196K before I lost a K03 which required pulling the engine which in turn stated a whole rebuild.

I traverse 3000' elevation in the first and last 20 miles of my daily 100 mile round trip commute.

I've never owned a car with an automatic (in almost 40 years of owning cars). So my advice on that would be biased.

fj..
Old 01-23-2010, 06:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default great feedback

thanks for the specific responses. I think the manual 6 speed would be the way to go. I have seen several modifications out there for the 2.7

What would you guys do first on a limited budget? Exhuast? Intake?
Old 01-23-2010, 07:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by KRUPNATION
thanks for the specific responses. I think the manual 6 speed would be the way to go. I have seen several modifications out there for the 2.7

What would you guys do first on a limited budget? Exhuast? Intake?
Careful. A slippery slope that.

Exhaust, will get you a bit more horsepower and better sound. I say this not because it is cool; but that I've found the allroad, when you’re trying to drive quickly, is difficult because it is so damn quiet. Not a cheap option but required if you going to do anything beyond a mild ecu chip upgrade.

Intake won't really do much unless you can open up the turbos which is a whole lot more expensive, and you’ll need the exhaust as well to push all that air volume into.

So if you are looking for more HP exhaust and a mild chip will give you a step up from stock.

Best bang for the buck in my opinion are Hotchkis H-Sport sways. They help tighten up the handling without sacrificing ride comfort (such as harder springs; be they air or coil).

fj..

Quick Reply: Manual or Auto