Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Looking to buy allroad

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to buy allroad

Hi everyone i'm new to this forum, I just had a couple of questions maybe someone could help me out. I'm 17 and need a new car and was looking at either the allroad or the a4 avant. I know both are high in maintenance cost but money isn't an issue, I need to know which model is more reliable and a better decision in the long run.
Any help would be awesome thanks!
Old 11-20-2009, 08:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

hi jake its got to be the allroad all day long
Old 11-20-2009, 08:36 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Ok thank you, doesn't the allroad have problems with the leveling system? is this to difficult of a fix?
Im looking at mostly 2002-2005's
Old 11-20-2009, 08:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

ive only had mine for just over 2 month it had a fault with the pump the had done 120,000 uk miles the pumps last 100.000 miles,
Old 11-20-2009, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

so your saying the leveling pumps are bad after 100,000? how much is that fix?
Old 11-20-2009, 09:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

done it myself bought it from the usa cost was £265 inc postage had to pay £55 duty tho
Old 11-20-2009, 10:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default I've got one for sale

I'm about to list mine for sale. Its been a great car, but I have two major complaints.

The air springs were not designed for a long enough life. I was stunned when the dealer told me with 65,000 miles that they were only designed to last that long. I've replaced the front two with Arnotts, which came with a lifetime warranty.

Second, the ignition coils. These too were not designed well. When they go out, the car goes into "limp home" mode in order to protect the catalytic converters. The car sputters and shakes and you basically can't drive the thing until you replace the coil. I've replaced two of the six.
Old 11-20-2009, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Ohmess
I'm about to list mine for sale. Its been a great car, but I have two major complaints.

The air springs were not designed for a long enough life. I was stunned when the dealer told me with 65,000 miles that they were only designed to last that long. I've replaced the front two with Arnotts, which came with a lifetime warranty.

Second, the ignition coils. These too were not designed well. When they go out, the car goes into "limp home" mode in order to protect the catalytic converters. The car sputters and shakes and you basically can't drive the thing until you replace the coil. I've replaced two of the six.
First never believe a dealer.I've replaced 2 coilpacks in 154k.Get a V8.If a coilpack goes you're not in limp mode youhave one cylinder missing
Old 11-20-2009, 01:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MYD-WGN
First never believe a dealer.I've replaced 2 coilpacks in 154k.Get a V8.If a coilpack goes you're not in limp mode youhave one cylinder missing
Coil packs - True. Opting for the V8 - indecisive, only because they are hard to come by, just like 6mt. Look unless your parents are funding your future maintenance, I would opt for the Avant - less headaches i.e. turbos,TC,bags, coils,TB hose,tires etc..........
Old 11-20-2009, 04:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Hi Jake,
I'd stay clear of the allroad if I were you. At 17, I'd recommend getting something more reliable. Granted you say that money isn't an option, but throw in some blown turbos, torque converter and you're out several thousand dollars.

If you want a wagon and it's gotta be an Audi, then I say go with a B7 A4 avant. It won't give you as much room as the allroad, but it'll be much more reliable. I have an A4 and haven't had a single issue in the 3 years I've owned it.

Quick Reply: Looking to buy allroad