Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Is leaving car in L3 OK?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is leaving car in L3 OK?

I know there's no good reason for it except I like the look of a little air in the fender wells, but is there a downside to the air system in leaving the car in L3 rather than L2? I'm thinking in terms of wearing out the compressor, because it needs to pump the car back up to L3 after automatically dropping to L2 on the highway.

My front airsprings were replaced 30k ago, compressor sometime after that. No current air leaks or malfunctions. I jacked the car up to L4 and hand-rubbed the air bags to remove grit.

I'm thinkin' that future leaks can be minimized by moving the "fold" in the bag to a different location regularly, eg, L3.

Thoughts? Experience?
Old 12-15-2011, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

There isn't really a 'problem' with it - it's actually designed to run on L3, then auto level to 2 after 50mph or so. You are correct though - the more frequently the compressor runs, the more problem prone it can become. Most people try to run on L3 because it's pretty common to get leaks in the front that only leak at L1 or L2. Running on leaking bags is a GREAT way to kill the compressor.

That said, I keep mine at L2. If I go over 90 it'll drop to L1 and I usually only raise to L3 or L4 if I'm offroad.

Good to see another CT allroader.
Old 12-15-2011, 07:15 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

make that +1 CT allroad...2005 4.2 liter just bought in stamford...
Old 12-15-2011, 10:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by goughary
make that +1 CT allroad...2005 4.2 liter just bought in stamford...
Wow. That 4.2 took this long to sell? If it's the one I'm thinking of, it's been for sale since Sept. & was enthusiast owned with a nice list of mods.

Congrats!
Old 12-15-2011, 10:57 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

not that one - you are thinkign of the guy in stamford that had the atlas grey one for sale - 98k miles or something like that...I probably should have bought that one - mine is 68k and will surely need all the same upgrades soon enough...but for the moment - all stock, but in good shape. very excited though - I wanted one for a while...

anyway - didn't mean to hijack the thread..
Old 12-15-2011, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Welcome, goughary. I'm pretty new, too, but I've been thru a few issues to initiate myself properly!

Only dissapointments:

Gas mileage is way worse than I expected, and I read all the warnings. I thought a 6-sp would be great mileage, but I find myself staying in a particular gear off the highway because I know I'll be shifting soon, whereas an auto would drop the revs down as soon as the throttle is backed off. That's my theory, anyway.

Tranny synchros are notchy, something I did NOT read about in all my pre-buy research.

Heater core was blocked and will only flow BACKWARDS, something else I didn't read about.

But, I still look back at it when I walk away in a parking lot, and that 2.7T with a 6-sp LEAPS!
Old 12-15-2011, 02:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

It is designed to be run in TWO. There are many posts in the archives regarding it.
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...php?p=18056138
Pay attention to Ex-PzKW Cdr's comments, he owns his own shop & is toatlly dedicated to allroad's.

Last edited by finiki; 12-15-2011 at 04:20 PM.
Old 12-15-2011, 03:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=brider;24236465]Tranny synchros are notchy, something I did NOT read about in all my pre-buy research.

Heater core was blocked and will only flow BACKWARDS, something else I didn't read about.

QUOTE]

Sounds like synchros have been abused. A blocked heater core also is indication of improper coolants.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

I did not stop to think how the alignment might be affected by driving in L3. Now I know!

I don't necessarily think the synchros were abused, the car has 155k on it, and a nice dentist family man owned it. He MAY have abused the tranny, but I'd be more inclined to think it was just hi-mile wear.

Can't disagree about the wrong-spec coolant gumming up my heater core, but I and thers have posted here ad nauseum about the flushing/cleaning ritual on the heater core, and as well as it flows both ways under garden-hose pressure, it STILL will only flow backwards in service. Why is that?
Old 12-17-2011, 03:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by brider
I'm thinkin' that future leaks can be minimized by moving the "fold" in the bag to a different location regularly, eg, L3.

Thoughts? Experience?
Mine had a 'sometimes leaks' problem (cost me some headaches): tight in L3,L4, leak in L1,L2. Tricky, because I did my in car leak testing with soap water spray in higher settings (easier to get in and see leaks).

Then even the bench testing (no leak since fully extended) was inconclusive.

So yes: it seem the bags develop their leaks around certain positions that they are mostly sitting in.

Tip for those believing in this theory: Use VAGcom and do the 402 mod and use settings from -15 to +15 in 5 increments (7 heights).