Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

KC Area Vag-Com?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default KC Area Vag-Com?

As the title says.....

I have the dreaded Fuse 14 problem, and I'm looking for help.

Contact me here or at jagmandave@kc dot <DOT>rr dot <DOT>com

thanks in advance!

On my car not only the interior lights are affected, but also the auto dim mirrors, sunroof, power widows, power seat memory and probably a whole lot of other stuff. I also get the three doors ajar display and the alarm goes off on it's own, but the horn and siren don't sound, just the lights flash.

Last edited by allroaddave; 07-08-2012 at 07:18 AM.
Old 07-08-2012, 01:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had better luck with the KCSR.org forum. Had Volksmech do mine. He has helped a lot of us here in KC. Good Luck!
Old 07-09-2012, 11:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks lundqura, I'll go there.

Anyone else have any words of wisdom for me on this problem?

Fuse 14 controls the interior lights, but also somehow amanges to fail the power windows, power seat memory, sunroof operation, warning display, alarm and so on......trying to pin down which of those might have a short is proving to be a monumental task!
Old 07-09-2012, 09:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get on KCSR.org and post in the Automotive Lounge. There is a guy there called Volksmech that can help. I had him do my S4 before I moved to Hawaii. Be sure to have your codes ready.
Old 07-10-2012, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Spoke to Volksmech, he's not familiar with this issue and indicated that he wouldn't be able to help, but thanks for the suggestion.

I know there are others in KC on this board who used to have the VAGCom, but they may no longer own their Audi?
Old 07-10-2012, 07:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Well, I think I fixed the problem in our Allroad.

While on vacation my wife flipped down the sunvisor to use the vanity mirror and noticed the little light above it wasn't working - after checking around we found a bunch of other stuff that wasn't working too. I put a new fuse in and it blew almost immediately.

Once I got home I decided to start with the sunvisors, and sure enough found a wire pinched up inside.....I also remembered the dealership had that whole mess out a while back to replace the clogged sunroof drain tubes. It's been several years since that was done and I'm not trying to implicate them, but it does seem curious, and I really doubt the factory put it together like that.....

Anyway, good news is it seems to be fixed again!
Old 07-12-2012, 11:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by allroaddave
Well, I think I fixed the problem in our Allroad.

While on vacation my wife flipped down the sunvisor to use the vanity mirror and noticed the little light above it wasn't working - after checking around we found a bunch of other stuff that wasn't working too. I put a new fuse in and it blew almost immediately.

Once I got home I decided to start with the sunvisors, and sure enough found a wire pinched up inside.....I also remembered the dealership had that whole mess out a while back to replace the clogged sunroof drain tubes. It's been several years since that was done and I'm not trying to implicate them, but it does seem curious, and I really doubt the factory put it together like that.....

Anyway, good news is it seems to be fixed again!

GLAD you found the root of the problem.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yep, it's been several days now and there have been no further issues.

Contrary to many people's experience, our Allroad has been relatively trouble free over the 8 years we've owned it so far, with only minor troubles along the way. The clogged sunroof tubes were not due to a manufacturing defect - they just got clogged with tree debris - but Audi stepped up and paid to fix them while the car was under warranty. Unfortunatley, I think that repair beget this one....the good news is that the electrical system protected itself by blowing the fuse instead of burning up the wiring harness and I was able to find the culprit quickly and repair it easily.

The only other thing I've had to do is replace the two front airbags with Arnott's, since then it's been onward and upward!

Our intention has always been to keep the car 10 years, now we may just keep it period......at this time it only has 55K on it, so it should be good to go for many more years and miles yet, and still looks almost new.
Old 07-13-2012, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by allroaddave
Yep, it's been several days now and there have been no further issues.

Contrary to many people's experience, our Allroad has been relatively trouble free over the 8 years we've owned it so far, with only minor troubles along the way. The clogged sunroof tubes were not due to a manufacturing defect - they just got clogged with tree debris - but Audi stepped up and paid to fix them while the car was under warranty. Unfortunatley, I think that repair beget this one....the good news is that the electrical system protected itself by blowing the fuse instead of burning up the wiring harness and I was able to find the culprit quickly and repair it easily.

The only other thing I've had to do is replace the two front airbags with Arnott's, since then it's been onward and upward!

Our intention has always been to keep the car 10 years, now we may just keep it period......at this time it only has 55K on it, so it should be good to go for many more years and miles yet, and still looks almost new.
WOW, sounds like you purchased it brand spankin' new!! and with only 55k miles?? you sir, have a new vehicle without a payments for many years to come. Congratulations on owning such a great "Utilitarian" type of vehicle.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

We bought it used, Audi certified, but it was only about 4 months old and it had 9K on it when we got it. The previous owner traded it in for a V-8 Allroad.

My wife doesn't drive a lot of miles per year, she's only done about 45K in the 8 years we've owned it, and in those miles it's been to Wisconsin, North Carolina twice Colorado several times, Arkansas a couple of times - it's a great road car, and that's what we use it for.

Now that I'm retired I'm not putting a lot of miles on either my MINI or my Jag either.

Quick Reply: KC Area Vag-Com?