Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Just test drove a 2013 Allroad...

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 10:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just test drove a 2013 Allroad...

I just got back from a test drive of the 2013 Allroad. I left super disappointed - I was hoping that I'd have something to look forward to wanting, but what I got was a A4 Avant with nothing interesting or different. The car was even badged as an A4 Allroad. I don’t know if I just missed this detail before seeing it in person, but I was expecting a lot more. It was a nice car, it is a new Audi after all – it just didn’t have anything that made it distinctive like the original Allroad. The lines are more sleek and it doesn’t have the “tonka-truck” look that I love about my ’01.

To be fair, this was a Euro-spec car, so the guy at the dealership said they don't know what will be different in the US model.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Exactly what I expected to hear. I had a guy yesterday who has a 2011 A4 Avant, ask me if I'd consider selling him my allroad. Of course I'm not selling. He's decided to sell his A4 and buy a used allroad.

It's just a shame Audi won't bring the US it's best cars.
Attached Images  
Old 03-18-2012, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

My wife and I just took a test ride, and we had the same feeling. She has a 2004 Allroad with 190k miles, and we just spent the weekend in VT on the worst mud roads that I ever saw. This A4 would never had made it. I did take a manual on the new one, and I was surprised that the ground clearance is 7.1; it seemed lower. The Allroad from 2004 is only 8.2 in the highest setting. The new Allroad does have front and rear stainless steel skid plates. It just seemed like an A4 with some extra trim.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the sad fact is that our beloved real Allroad's will never have a replacement, sold in the U.S., that is worthy of the "Allroad" badge. Audi may fool those who don't know any better and put a A4 poser on sale in 2013, but it will never be able to fill the shoes of it's namesake. That legacy ended all to soon for us in 2005. Shame on you Audi.

For all my fellow AR owners, take care of them and let them age gracefully. Haul the family, push it to the limits at the track, test it's prowess offroad, or show up a ricer in a drag race. They can do it all.
Old 03-21-2012, 03:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Where did you drive it? Are dealers getting demos already?
Old 03-21-2012, 05:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by pacod
Where did you drive it? Are dealers getting demos already?
Bernardi in Natick, MA. Evidently there was one car that wa traveling from Dealer to Dealer. Bernardi's called us as a current Allroad owner.

Now that I've read the brochure, I'm feeling better about the car. It has 7.1 clearance. The old Allroad has 8.2 in the top position.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

The Burlington dealer had three today. I didn't have time to drive one, but I wouldn't have expected it to be much different than an A4 Avant 2.0T. All were Euro-spec, so no good info on what to expect as far as interior/exterior trim. One had a 19" wheel design that I had not seen yet, which I thought looked great; the other two had the multi-spoke 18s I have seen pictured.

Not everybody is looking for a replacement for the A6 allroad (it exists, just not in the US). Last year I was waffling between an A4 Avant and a Q5. Preferred the look and more dog-friendly cargo area (less sloping rear) of the A4, as well as the price (discounted, vs. MSRP for the in-demand Q5). However, ground clearance was important for occasional Sierra snow (dug my high-centered S4 Avant out too many times). Ended up with an X5d, which is just too big. Wish the allroad had been around then! And wish they would sell it with the 3.0TDI here - I am addicted to diesel torque - the X5 would be replaced instantly.