Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Jerky tiptronic on my ar

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 12:20 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jerky tiptronic on my ar

I have a 2004 ar with 70k miles now that I have owned for two years and this intermittant situation has existed since I got it. The tranny sometimes seems to not want to kick down to first as i'm stopping or slowing until very late then if i don't stop, but begin to accelerate again it will hesitate for a two count then lurch into gear as if i stomped on the gas. The hesitation and lurching can also happen when i start from a stop. I have a great mechanic but he is not able to deal with the transmision issues on this vehicle. Has anyone run into these symptoms?

On two occasions i have put the car into park and let off the brake to have it clank violently and then roll slightly before locking into park.

And lastly there was an occasion where i left a rest area and the car clanked violently as i began to roll in reverse so hard that i thought i might have hit something. I confirmed that wasn't the case and drove on a short distance to find that all the gear indicators in the cluster were lit up and the vehicle wouldnt advance to the higher gears. I stopped. Restarted the car and it seemed ok and has not done that again in the six months since.

This is my third Audi and i love them unfortunately i dont have the same affection for my only local Audi dealer's service center. Any input would be helpful.
Old 06-20-2010, 04:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The "Clunk-rollback when you put it in park" thing happens on my '04 too, the dealer says not to worry about it, it's simply the parking pawl not engaged with the gear, so it rolls back and engages the next tooth.

We decided we don't like that so we always pull the handbrake on when on a hill. End of problem.....

As to the other problem, I don't know but it doesn't sound good.....
Old 06-20-2010, 06:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

DS,

Couple of suggestions. Have you ever changed the filter and the fluid? Sometimes that does wonders.

Also never take it to an Audi dealer. Find a good German imports mechanic in Ohio. I think there are some smart AR Ohio guys on here.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-20-2010, 08:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Trans Problems

Originally Posted by luvallroad
DS,

Couple of suggestions. Have you ever changed the filter and the fluid? Sometimes that does wonders.

Also never take it to an Audi dealer. Find a good German imports mechanic in Ohio. I think there are some smart AR Ohio guys on here.

Hope this helps.
I have a 2000 a6 2.7T Tip. I was having some what the same problem last year. I have a very good dealer. I took it to them and had them call me when they was ready to chang the fluid and filter. It had 75,000 miles. When they dropped the pan, the tranny fluid was a black gray. Long over due. I had them install the audi fluid and clean all of the magnets that are inside of the oil pan. whem every thing was done, the car runs like it did when it was new. I'm in texas and it gets really hot here. I will change it again at the end of the summer. It is cheapper to do that than to replace the trans. I have used a product called Auto-rex in the trans for about 1000 miles then change the trans fluid. I have had good luck with this product in my audi's and my daughter's saturn. I do hope this info helps you. You can also reset your trans and let it relearn how you drive.

ron
Old 06-25-2010, 11:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

My '01 Allroad had an issue just like you describe, it was caused by the dealership not putting in enough transmission fluid.

There was a recall on Allroads where the throttle body would leak fluid. My dealer never told me about it; I found it online somewhere. When I had the original body it would often jerk, then after they fixed it is was temporarily worse until they got the fluid at the right level.
Old 06-25-2010, 03:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

I've read about an awful lot of allroad owners having tailshaft leaks, and I'm guessing that would lead to dripping tranny fluid. As BradArtigue mentioned, being low on tranny fluid will lead to some ugly shifting.
Old 06-25-2010, 07:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have the same issue. I have narrowed it down that it almost always happens when the AR is in some stop and go and long idling or so.
I never have it when regular driving.

I had the transmission fluid and filter replaced and that did not help...

So do you guys think the torque converter is starving for fluid or so? Or is it a rough shifting of the trans.
And more importantly, does it mean the trans is going to go or can it handle occasional rough shifts like that?