Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Interesting problem with Keys and Alarm with my Allroad

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 08:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interesting problem with Keys and Alarm with my Allroad

I recently purchased an '04 Allroad with 2 keys, but only 1 worked. The other one was a 'blank', as in it wasn't cut or programmed. I asked Audi and they wanted $700 for a new master key which I thought was crazy. They did tell me if I can get a locksmith to cut the blank key, then they can program it for $160. So I took the blank key to get cut, only to find out that the blank key wasn't blank at all. It was simply an empty case with an uncut key blade on it.

So I decided to buy an actual blank key from eBay. While waiting for that to arrive I decided since the empty case was useless to me and that my existing key looked a bit cruddy, I'll change the cases around. But when I took apart the working key, I couldn't get the PCB inside the remote to come out. No matter what I did it wouldn't come out. So I put everything back to the way it was, only to find now my only working key doesn't lock or unlock by remote anymore! So like a caveman I have to use the key to open the car. I decided when my new key arrives, I'll get them both programmed by Audi (assuming my original remote wasn't broken when I tried to take it apart).

What gave me a hell of a shock is the fact that my alarm does off when I unlocked the door. I didn't know what to do since my remote no longer worked. Eventually I put the key in the ignition and turned the car on, which stopped it. After reading the manual I discovered I had 15 seconds to turn on the car before the alarm would go off. Even though I know this, the alarm has gone off twice now just cause I didn't stick the key in the ignition. It's just not something you think about when you're used to using the remote.

Meanwhile it's been almost a month a my new key still hasn't arrived yet. I've contacted the seller and they assured me it's been sent, but if I don't get it soon I might have to buy another one.

My question is is there a way to disable the alarm? I still want the immobilizer on, but just not the alarm. Until I get my remote working again, in which time I will enable the alarm again.
Old 08-02-2013, 02:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Key programming

Originally Posted by puunda
I recently purchased an '04 Allroad with 2 keys, but only 1 worked. The other one was a 'blank', as in it wasn't cut or programmed. I asked Audi and they wanted $700 for a new master key which I thought was crazy. They did tell me if I can get a locksmith to cut the blank key, then they can program it for $160. So I took the blank key to get cut, only to find out that the blank key wasn't blank at all. It was simply an empty case with an uncut key blade on it.

So I decided to buy an actual blank key from eBay. While waiting for that to arrive I decided since the empty case was useless to me and that my existing key looked a bit cruddy, I'll change the cases around. But when I took apart the working key, I couldn't get the PCB inside the remote to come out. No matter what I did it wouldn't come out. So I put everything back to the way it was, only to find now my only working key doesn't lock or unlock by remote anymore! So like a caveman I have to use the key to open the car. I decided when my new key arrives, I'll get them both programmed by Audi (assuming my original remote wasn't broken when I tried to take it apart).

What gave me a hell of a shock is the fact that my alarm does off when I unlocked the door. I didn't know what to do since my remote no longer worked. Eventually I put the key in the ignition and turned the car on, which stopped it. After reading the manual I discovered I had 15 seconds to turn on the car before the alarm would go off. Even though I know this, the alarm has gone off twice now just cause I didn't stick the key in the ignition. It's just not something you think about when you're used to using the remote.

Meanwhile it's been almost a month a my new key still hasn't arrived yet. I've contacted the seller and they assured me it's been sent, but if I don't get it soon I might have to buy another one.

My question is is there a way to disable the alarm? I still want the immobilizer on, but just not the alarm. Until I get my remote working again, in which time I will enable the alarm again.
Insert the key into the driver door key hole, press and hold the locking button. Opened and closed the door with the key and release the button
Old 08-02-2013, 04:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by amiram
Insert the key into the driver door key hole, press and hold the locking button. Opened and closed the door with the key and release the button
You need 2 keys for this to work. One needs to be in the ignition.
Old 08-02-2013, 04:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

The dealer can order the key for you, already cut, for about $250 (in US and Canada). Don't know how he arrived at the $700 figure.

Next, when programming, he needs to program all the keys at the same time. So that's another $120 or so (1-hour of labour).
Old 08-02-2013, 05:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by GTA_Driver
The dealer can order the key for you, already cut, for about $250 (in US and Canada). Don't know how he arrived at the $700 figure.

Next, when programming, he needs to program all the keys at the same time. So that's another $120 or so (1-hour of labour).
In Australia Audi quoted $700 for a replacement key ... that's all cut and programmed, or $160 to program a key that's already been cut.

I will wait for my new key to arrive and I will take both keys into Audi to be programmed. In the meantime, I guess I'll have to put up with the alarm and remember to stick the key in ignition. What annoys me is that if I wanted to get something out of the car I can't just unlock it, then lock it again. I have to actually turn the car on then off then lock it.
Old 08-02-2013, 06:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by puunda
In Australia Audi quoted $700 for a replacement key ... that's all cut and programmed, or $160 to program a key that's already been cut.

I will wait for my new key to arrive and I will take both keys into Audi to be programmed. In the meantime, I guess I'll have to put up with the alarm and remember to stick the key in ignition. What annoys me is that if I wanted to get something out of the car I can't just unlock it, then lock it again. I have to actually turn the car on then off then lock it.

Do you have just 1 key in total? If so, that's too bad. However, if you have 2 (valet key + regular key) you can reprogram your regular key with the remote.
Old 08-03-2013, 02:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by GTA_Driver
Do you have just 1 key in total? If so, that's too bad. However, if you have 2 (valet key + regular key) you can reprogram your regular key with the remote.
Yes, I only have 1 key in total, and that 1 key now unlocks and starts the car, but the remote doesn't work. I guess I'll have to wait for my new key to be arrived so I can take it to Audi for them to program it