Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

I beer can'd my suspension compressor....

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 02:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am curious if you are going to pull the compressor to see if there is any where through the can.
Old 02-23-2012, 03:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jay_cat
I am curious if you are going to pull the compressor to see if there is any where through the can.
Once I figured out that you meant wear and not where, this made a whole lot more sense. Anyway, the wear issue is exactly why the first guy who did the...lets call it...mod, used the beer can to shim the piston ring and not to line the cylinder. I just beer can'd my compressor two days ago (working on the write-up with pics to hopefully put into tech articles or sticky, if someone is willing to tell me how to do that) and went the route of shimming the piston ring. This leaves all wear components stock. Stock cylinder sleeve. Stock piston. Stock piston ring. Just now the piston ring is making good contact with the cylinder wall and not flapping around in there causing all sorts of racket.

After the fix my car hit level 4 for the first time in a year. I did it immediately after reaching level 3, so the compressor had to lift it and it took only 18 seconds. Couldn't be happier with the fix. Now I just need to replace the rear bags so I don't 'squirt' all that air out during acceleration squat!
Old 03-03-2012, 04:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default YIKES ...don't do the lining idea do the shim idea

CAN WAS COMPLETELY SHREDDED.

DO THE SHIMMING idea instead (just search Beer Can).

THIS Lining the Cylinder THREAD SHOULD BE DELETED THIS IS SUCH A BAD IDEA.

I was pretty careful in my install...so maybe...if you do something slightly different? But a can is so thin....you are working with a pretty small margin.

Secondary problem is that you have metal shavings scattered throughout your system if it fails catastrophically the way mine did.

Next time I'll hold off on my writeup until I'm sure it works....just hard to keep it all in your head and it seemed to be working at first....

Oh well...live and learn!

(I edited my post below as well...just wanted a new post at the top to bump this up)

Last edited by sketch44; 03-03-2012 at 04:30 PM.