Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

I beer can'd my suspension compressor....

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 07:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I beer can'd my suspension compressor....

Just though I'd share a simple late afternoon pick-me-up for those tired suspension compressors out there.

The suspension compressor on my 2001 AR has been running frequently ever since I purchased the car 2 years ago. The root cause of this of course is one or more leaking air springs which I indeed did have on the rear, and accordingly they've been replaced. Predictably the compressor has been getting pretty slow lately, so much so that it was barely serviceable. Last weekend I pulled it out, cleaned and lubed it up a bit. I found that the plastic/fiber piston ring was worn and pretty much loose inside the cylinder. At the time I stretched it out a bit, reassembled and put it back into the car. Surprisingly it worked better, but for how long? Who knows...

So this weekend it occurred to me that shimming the ring may be effective. So I pulled it out again, tore it apart and cut a strip of aluminum beer can out that just fit inside the 1/4" wide piston ring groove and then put it all back together; beer can aluminum is about 0.005" thick, thus the shim expanded the ring about 0.010". Happily it works a great deal better. Now it runs for a matter of 10's of seconds to change height rather than minutes or not being able to reach the higher heights at all.

For someone faced with the purchase of a $600 compressor, this may be something worth trying first. There's probably not much to loose...

Don
Old 03-23-2008, 02:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Good idea, do you have a brand preference? : )
Old 03-23-2008, 03:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Dang, beer comes in cans?
Old 03-23-2008, 03:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

no pictures?
Old 03-23-2008, 05:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Awesome Macgyver job.
Old 03-23-2008, 07:43 AM

Default Re: Good idea, do you have a brand preference? : )

But of course!

"The Silver Bullet"

Coors Light!
Old 03-23-2008, 08:00 AM

Default Re: no pictures?

Unfortunately no, I had my camera in the garage, but forgot to take any pictures.

It's a really simple fix, the compressor comes apart easily.

1) Disconnect the intake air line, just push in on the tubing connectors and gently pull out the tubing.

2) Remove the two nuts holding the air dryer on

3) Remove the two screws holding the compressor head on, be sure not to loose the over temp sensor thats under one of the head bolts

4) Pull the head off

5) Carefully pry the ring off of the piston, it is split at one point so it will expand. Just don't get carried away or I'm sure it would break.

6) Pick your car's favorite brew and cut a ~0.200" strip out of the can that will go all the way around the ring grove.

7) Reassemble in the reverse order (don't forget the temp sensor or the lower air dryer bolt when you reassemble)

Getting the compressor in and out of the car isn't too bad, the worst part is the dust that will be falling down in your face. It's located just in front of the spare tire well behind a black protective cover that's held on by three 10mm nuts and studs. There are three electrical connections and two air connections (intake and exhaust). As you lie under the car two of the electrical connectors will be to your left (passenger side) attached to a metal bracket along with the intake air filter. The third electrical connection is on the back of the compressor. Carefully pull all of these connections apart and with just a little bit of surgeon's skill you should have it out in no time. Be sure not to loose the flat washers that are located on top of each compressor mount, when you pull it down they have a habit of falling down and rolling off out of sight.

Hope this helps.

Don
Old 03-23-2008, 03:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Great write up. Thanks for sharing.
Old 03-23-2008, 04:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

German beer or 'merican?
Old 03-23-2008, 04:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

mmmm beer... Is there anything it can't do?

Quick Reply: I beer can'd my suspension compressor....