Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Hi. Just purchased first Audi, need advice!

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2021, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi. Just purchased first Audi, need advice!

Hello. I just purchased a 2003 Allroad on eBay, I have not taken possession yet. I will have two days to get it checked, and I do have a trusty mechanic. But I would be very grateful if people could point out possible trouble spots, maintenance to do right away (is there a timing belt or chain?), things to watch for. The car has had only one owner, at 173,000 miles out, and I am hoping he has maintenance records to give me. BTW, I am coming off thirty years of owning a succession of Volvo 240 wagons, which I loved. But time to move on! This car seems to be a fairly close equivalent, and for me a key requirement was manual trans. Wagons with manual trans are now as rare as hen's teeth, so I am super stoked to find this car. I also have a friend who previously owned the same model and year, and absolutely loved the car, would still have it if another driver hadn't run a stop sign. He says to expect higher parts and repair costs, which is okay given the price I paid. For starters, the listing says the AC is not working. Thanks for any replies and advice, so glad I found you here!
Walter
Old 05-28-2021, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Forgot to say, it has the 2.7 l twin turbo.
Old 05-30-2021, 04:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

I have a similar Allroad and also with a manual transmission, and yes it is a fantastic car, however it is also a complex car which requires a fair amount of maintenance. With the age and mileage on this car you need to be prepared to spend some time and money to kept it working right. Mine is just passing 200k and is working great.

Things to look out for:
The air suspension has transitionally been a week point. Many cars where converted to springs, which takes some of the benefits of this car away. Other have replaced the airbags (the weak point) with Arnott airbags, which hold out longer. It is unlikely that your car is on stock suspension.

The Turbo's. These are costly to replace, and have a limited lifetime. They can go 200k+ but there is no grantee. The turbos makes it fairly easy to tune this car to a lot more power, which makes it even more enjoyable. With a manual transmission, that really make this a fun car. Only start on this path once you know the car is sound, and you can find a lot of information about that on these pages.

The engine has a timing belt, which should be replaced at every 90k or so. Your car may be coming up for a timing belt replacement dependent in when it was done last. You should also get the thermostat and waterpump plus a few other items replaced at that point.

Lastly the front control arms. They typically only last 4-5 years, but are fairly straight forward to replace. Don't replace them with cheap aftermarket products, but you do not need to buy them from Audi. You can buy OEM arms online.

It can get expensive to maintain, but most of these things is something you can do yourself, if you have the appetite. That is what I do, and I typically spend $ 500-1000 a year to maintain it.

Last edited by Johnbach; 05-30-2021 at 04:40 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Bronco Joe (09-08-2021)
Old 06-05-2021, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

John, thank you very much for this information. I obtained the repair invoices from the previous owner. Since 2014 the repair shop has been placing the same warning on his invoices. It says “ valve cover gaskets, cam tensioner gaskets, and cam end caps are leaking oil. Both turbo oil return line O-rings are leaking. Both turbos are leaking oil will need to clean off and run to find specific leak. Substantial oil residue on engine from multiple leaks would require cleaning/decreasing to determine sources.” All of which apparently he never addressed. Do you have any feedback for this situation?

Also the timing belt has been replaced once, in 2014, and the car has gone 37,000 miles since then. So not needing replacement based on mileage, but seven years is a long time. Is there generally considered to be an age limit on the timing belts regardless of mileage? Thanks to you and any other contributors who care to add their comments!

Originally Posted by Johnbach
I have a similar Allroad and also with a manual transmission, and yes it is a fantastic car, however it is also a complex car which requires a fair amount of maintenance. With the age and mileage on this car you need to be prepared to spend some time and money to kept it working right. Mine is just passing 200k and is working great.

Things to look out for:
The air suspension has transitionally been a week point. Many cars where converted to springs, which takes some of the benefits of this car away. Other have replaced the airbags (the weak point) with Arnott airbags, which hold out longer. It is unlikely that your car is on stock suspension.

The Turbo's. These are costly to replace, and have a limited lifetime. They can go 200k+ but there is no grantee. The turbos makes it fairly easy to tune this car to a lot more power, which makes it even more enjoyable. With a manual transmission, that really make this a fun car. Only start on this path once you know the car is sound, and you can find a lot of information about that on these pages.

The engine has a timing belt, which should be replaced at every 90k or so. Your car may be coming up for a timing belt replacement dependent in when it was done last. You should also get the thermostat and waterpump plus a few other items replaced at that point.

Lastly the front control arms. They typically only last 4-5 years, but are fairly straight forward to replace. Don't replace them with cheap aftermarket products, but you do not need to buy them from Audi. You can buy OEM arms online.

It can get expensive to maintain, but most of these things is something you can do yourself, if you have the appetite. That is what I do, and I typically spend $ 500-1000 a year to maintain it.
Old 06-09-2021, 10:10 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey there, and welcome. I don't know if this contribution will still be helpful; it's unclear whether you went through with the purchase or are still weighing the challenge. I have the 2004 2.7 issue, in auto form, with only 85+K miles. I had been happily driving a 3.0 A6 for years and shopped very patiently and critically for an original allroad. I'm the second owner, and was also thrilled to find mine almost 4 years ago. But, my allroad had been remarkably well-(100%-dealer) maintained, and excellent, documented/evident maintenance is my primary screen shopping for any used car, mainly because I'm still a rookie on mechanics after all these years. I've still had to re-do most or all of the front suspension, brakes, a couple of electrical failings, etc. -all between 80 & 85K. Most recently, I had new enhanced Arnott bags installed, for $2600, including an alignment. That's just an example, but the always-great maintenance and prime condition of this marvel is why I do keep investing in it. The car truly drives like new and anyone who even rides in it comments as much. This car is my favorite of all time. My prior favorites were an '84 Porsche 944, and a '92 Subaru SVX. If I wasn't fortunate to own this allroad, I'd be shopping also for an Outback. Frankly, I'd keep looking for a better-maintained allroad, mostly because these cars are complicated enough, and it's very hard to predict all that has been neglected, beyond the evident/obvious, and what the consequences/costs can mount to. Personally, I wouldn't touch this one with a 10-foot wrench. The last lesson I'll share is that I learned early on with a brake job that I had to use my best mechanic because my lower-cost pretty-good one did not quite understand the brake-sensors that have to be checked before you are truly done and return a car. My black beast has never seen a dealer again, but my pretty-good shop that handled my much less-complicated and better-known A6 well enough, just cannot be trusted with the allroad. In summary, or to repeat: as with ourselves, maintenance is essential/fundamental/sine qua non!. Best of luck with your eventual choice.
Old 06-09-2021, 10:48 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default 2003 Allroad just bought

Rudy,
Thanks for your message and perspective. I did buy the car, so here’s hoping your worst predictions turn out to be wrong. I did have it inspected by a trusted mechanic who works on mostly German cars. He found a few things, but nothing terrible. He mentioned the valve cover gasket, so hopefully that will solve all or most of the oil leakage. I’d love to get your or others’ feedback on the question of when to change the timing belt; it has under 40K miles, but is seven years old. On my Volvo 240 I would change after five years regardless of the mileage.

Also, a question about the air suspension: when a bag fails, is it a dramatic, undriveable or even dangerous condition? Or can you limp home 100 miles or so?

thanks!
Old 06-09-2021, 01:47 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lagbolt55
Rudy,
Thanks for your message and perspective. I did buy the car, so here’s hoping your worst predictions turn out to be wrong. I did have it inspected by a trusted mechanic who works on mostly German cars. He found a few things, but nothing terrible. He mentioned the valve cover gasket, so hopefully that will solve all or most of the oil leakage. I’d love to get your or others’ feedback on the question of when to change the timing belt; it has under 40K miles, but is seven years old. On my Volvo 240 I would change after five years regardless of the mileage.

Also, a question about the air suspension: when a bag fails, is it a dramatic, undriveable or even dangerous condition? Or can you limp home 100 miles or so?

thanks!
"Nothing terrible" is good. I'd hesitate to advise you on the belt, but can your mechanic inspect it? You've probably learned it's a big, expensive labor/equipment-intensive job that involves replacing the coolant pump, etc, as well. Is your mechanic qualified/experienced, could do this? Part of this gets back to the maintenance/neglect question. How was the car kept/maintained during those seven years? If it's just a low-mileage seven years of a garaged, well-maintained car, I'd trust that 40K is only partial wear, but that's thinking of my car and belt, not yours. Also, that's just my untrained opinion. An early-replaced belt on my car was a big part of my purchase decision, so I have no experience with a change.

On the suspension, the driver-side front bag burst without me noticing it, and I just had an easily-noticeable hyper-bouncy ride throughout for the 3 or 4 3 to 4 mile rides I had to drive prior to turning it over to my mechanic, including the ride home from the assessment visit on a Friday, and the return to the shop on Monday. I was told it was safe to do those rides but to avoid challenging driving and postpone track appearances, He noted simply that the car was not engineered to be driven that way, and that my relatively new axles, etc. aren't liking it. But IN MY CASE, not much drama, and no danger. By the way, my cost was for replacing both front struts,

Last edited by RudyRudy; 06-09-2021 at 01:51 PM.
Old 06-11-2021, 04:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Change the belt. Five years/90 K miles is what I've been going by since starting to drive Audis in the 1980s. When doing the Allroad, be sure to replace the piece of plastic junk that is the thermostat housing with one of the metal ones. When I did the belt on my first AR, The housing crumbled in my hand while I was trying to remove it.
Old 06-11-2021, 12:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default VAG Reader for OBD fault codes.

Congratulations and since you have already bought your 2002 2.7T manual allroad, may I suggest a couple of things that may be of help to you in the future. I have had the same car for almost 16 years, bought it when it had just under 40k miles, did a major upgrade when it reached 80k miles and it now has almost 175k miles. Even though I have spent loads of money on the car, it has been great to drive and lots of fun. I spent about $50 for a VAG code reader and also bought a Bentley Service Manual for the A6/allroads that cover 2002 and it's very comforting to quickly check an engine warning light to find out if it's a minor problem or something more serious. Many times I used to get the warning light and it was the O2 sensor. After replacing several of them, I gave up since it would tend to go away after a while. I haven't had that fault code show up in over 3 years so not sure why I was getting them before. I do have an MTM stainless steel exhaust with Cat 100s since the original upgrade and also changed over to adjustable coilovers which eliminated the airbag suspension problem.
After permanently moving to Vancouver, Canada almost 10 years ago, I imported the car so I am only putting around 5k miles per year on the car, mostly driving around town and up and down mountains. The last time I changed the timing belt/water pump/thermostat etc was a couple of years ago when I had 165k miles on it. Since I had the engine out at 80k and also at 116k to do upgrades, I also did the timing belt swap at the same time. Great car and I have a great mechanic shop here where they all know and love the car!
Have fun,
John.
Old 06-14-2021, 03:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

The valve cover gasket is typically the biggest source of oil leaks, and fairly simple to replace, so starting there seems right. The Turbo oil return lines are also easy to access and changing the seals there are not costly. I would do that first, try to clean the engine and watch for the oil leaks after that. If you remove the lower panel under the engine, it is easier to check for any oil leaks. The panel can easily be added back later. Just be prepared for some oil droppings below the car. The cam seals are normally replaced along with the timing belt.
40k and 7 years on a timing belt is not concerning. I have heard 10 years as a limit from Audi, just don't take any chances here. You can inspect the timing belt when they do the valve cover gaskets so ask the mechanic about that.
The airbag typically fail with a slow leak, so the changes of getting stranded are low. I have had my Allroad for more than 6 years and no problems with my air suspension, but the airbags where replaced by the former owner.

Quick Reply: Hi. Just purchased first Audi, need advice!