Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Great Icelink experience

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2004, 11:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great Icelink experience

Hi everyone,
A few weeks ago I was looking for some info on installing an icelink on a 2004 AR with Bose premium and XM SAT radio. I wasn't sure if the icelink would work with this stereo.

I talked to Tom at Dension USA and he was extremely helpfull. I already had an Icelink in my 04 Touareg and was able to exchange this one for the Allroad Icelink as a courtesy, I only had to pay for shipping. That is just perfect service.

Anyway, I ended up installing the following Icelink:
- I12-Audi-R
Very straightforward to install, plug and play, and no silver connection box anymore, I was able to fit everything easily behind the radio. I used the dock cable which comes down the drivers side of the center console. I was under the impression that pressing the SAT button would switch the stereo to the ipod but it turned out that I had to press the CD button, that was my only mix up (I did have sound from the ipod though when switching to SAT, so that confused me a bit for a while)

Just thought I would let you guys know, in case someone else was wondering about an Icelink in an 2004 with bose and XM.

Stephan
Old 11-22-2004, 03:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Great Icelink experience

Thats great to hear --

I was e-mailing back and forth with Tom today because i am trading in my 2001 Allroad next week for a 2005 and was wondering about the connection and if it was the same.

I have one that connects to the CD changer inputs on the back of the symphony (non-bose) He claimed that the one i have will connect up with no problems, but i'm skeptical.

You say that yours connects up WITHOUT a silver box? What ports in the back does it connect to?

If you have to press the CD button can you actually use the 6-cd changer when the ipod is connected?
Old 11-22-2004, 03:48 PM

How long did the install take?
Old 11-22-2004, 06:10 PM

The total install time was about 30 minutes, I didn't hurry too much, took my time not to break anything (I did: one clip of the battery cover broke, pos. I'm not even sure if I had to disconnect the battery but it didn't hurt. Had to reset the one touch window up and down)

Anyway, the icelink version I installed was version 1.2, which seems to be a new version, without the silver box.

I removed the plug from the cd changer port in the back of the radio, plugged this into the icelink wiring harness. There is then another plug on this harness that goes into the cd changer port in the back of the radio. From the harness there is one smaller plug that goes into the icelink (the icelink is black, about 3 inches long, 1 inch wide). The dock cable or cradle then connects to the other end of the icelink. And there is one small ground wire that you will have to connect to some mass.

This whole procedure disables the built-in XM radio, I can still press the SAT button, I still see the channel names but there is no sound anymore since the input is now taken up by the icelink.

I can still use the 6 cd in-dash changer, pressing the CD button again switches back to the normal in-dash CD mode, pressing it again switches it to the external (trunk) CDC (cd changer) mode, which has now become the icelink/ipod.

I wouldn't be surprised if you can still use your old icelink since it still connects to the cd changer input in the back of the radio. The units with the built-in XM radio use this same cd changer input to feed the XM signal into the head unit. I would just give it a try, nothing lost if it won't work, $240 saved if it does :-)

Good luck!
Stephan
Old 11-22-2004, 06:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the response.

i had no idea that the headunits still support a trunk cd changer -- as long as the ports are there i should be fine.

i'll know a week from wednesday when i drop off my silver 2001 and pick up my atlas grey 2005.

Ice-link wil lbe the first thing hooked up...
Old 12-16-2004, 08:53 AM

Default I have a question..

I'm trying to do the same setup with my A4, but I want to be able to have the iPod AND XM setup and running. You said you can still see the channels but get no sound. So are you not using XM anymore? Do you know of a way to use the Icelink with XM? Thanks.