Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Gen I or Gen II replacement springs

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 03:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gen I or Gen II replacement springs

I got my 2001 in July of last year. I paid right at book which I thought was fair since the car is in perfect cosmetic shape and has the 6-spd I was looking for. Since then all I have had to do is change fluids, front axles, and swap in the lower temperature after-run switch. I knew when I purchased it that the rear would sag after several days of not driving. This of course has gotten worse since it has gotten cold.

Yesterday on the way home from work I got the warning light for the first time. I punched it up to level 3 and it did recover. I do my own work so labor cost won't be an issue, but I am on the fence for Gen I vs. Gen II springs. For one thing I can't afford to swap all four corners right now from a time or money standpoint (our 3rd kid is on the way in a few weeks). So for now I will only be doing the rear. I am currently planning to go to Arnott's Bilstens while I am in there. Gen II is very spendy so the question is are they worth it?

If I stick with Gen I then I can do front Bilstens sooner and maybe even the heavier sway bars. If I go Gen II it will be a while before I can do anything more and when I do I will have nearly half what I paid for the car in springs and shocks.

My backup car is a CRX Si so I already have a go cart. I would like to rein in some of the boat like driving dynamics of the Allroad, but I don't want to turn it into an overly harsh ride. I have searched threads and found various comments on Gen II, but has anyone ever just done the back? I am concerned I am going to get a tail happy beast with the mismatched spring rates. I would love to hear any general BTDT from the group regarding if Gen II is worth it or am I better off with good Gen I and Bilstens with maybe sway bars.

Thanks!
Old 01-12-2012, 04:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by slatebrick
I got my 2001 in July of last year. I paid right at book which I thought was fair since the car is in perfect cosmetic shape and has the 6-spd I was looking for. Since then all I have had to do is change fluids, front axles, and swap in the lower temperature after-run switch. I knew when I purchased it that the rear would sag after several days of not driving. This of course has gotten worse since it has gotten cold.

Yesterday on the way home from work I got the warning light for the first time. I punched it up to level 3 and it did recover. I do my own work so labor cost won't be an issue, but I am on the fence for Gen I vs. Gen II springs. For one thing I can't afford to swap all four corners right now from a time or money standpoint (our 3rd kid is on the way in a few weeks). So for now I will only be doing the rear. I am currently planning to go to Arnott's Bilstens while I am in there. Gen II is very spendy so the question is are they worth it?

If I stick with Gen I then I can do front Bilstens sooner and maybe even the heavier sway bars. If I go Gen II it will be a while before I can do anything more and when I do I will have nearly half what I paid for the car in springs and shocks.

My backup car is a CRX Si so I already have a go cart. I would like to rein in some of the boat like driving dynamics of the Allroad, but I don't want to turn it into an overly harsh ride. I have searched threads and found various comments on Gen II, but has anyone ever just done the back? I am concerned I am going to get a tail happy beast with the mismatched spring rates. I would love to hear any general BTDT from the group regarding if Gen II is worth it or am I better off with good Gen I and Bilstens with maybe sway bars.

Thanks!
I'm in the same boat as you with the Gen 1 vs Gen 2. I just picked up a front pair of Gen 1s yesterday at Arnott. The guy there told me unless I'm into driving the car aggressive, to just stick to Gen 1s, but I was really contemplating the Gen 2s. I figured it's the wife's car and we don't need to drive aggressive anyway with the kids, so Gen 1 it is, LOL
Old 01-12-2012, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I recently replaced mine with Gen II. Can't really tell any difference in ride quality.

Installation was a breeze. Do not remove the pinch bolt, you don't need to. Just unbolt the top of the strut, then pull it down and twist and the top of the strut will come out of the wheel well. Then, you can remove the 12 point bolts on top of the aluminum hat.

First side took me 4 hours. Second side took me 30 minutes.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

I would recommend just sticking with the Gen I springs. If you already have a fun go cart car then they are not necessary on the allroad. I put Gen II springs on the front of mine and the ride got noticeably harsher, but I also spend a lot of my time driving on bumpy city streets. I do like the ride of the Gen II's on the highway and smooth twisty roads but unfortunately I don't get to drive on those as much as I would like. I don't know of anyone that has put Gen II's only on the rear and not the front. I have a set of Gen II rears for my car but have not installed them yet.

If cost is a concern but you want to improve the driving dynamics, then I would get Hotchkis H-sport sway bars before anything else. Those make the single biggest improvement in handling by reducing the body roll significantly.

Also my friend recently purchased an allroad with Gen II springs all around and Bilstein rear shocks. I don't really notice any significant difference in ride quality compared to mine. However, keep in mind the OEM rear shocks have a valve that changes the damping to match the load in the rear, while the Bilsteins do not. Also, the Bilsteins are not specifically designed for the allroad, rather they are the HD dampers for the A6 modified by Arnott to fit.
Old 01-12-2012, 02:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for all the feedback! It sounds like Gen I is the best fit for me and leave some budget for the sway bars in the future.

It sounds like there may be some question on the Bilsteins. I did know that they were modified to work. I also noticed that the stock shocks are plumbed into the air suspension so I figured they must change with the load/setting. I was planning to transition to the Bilsteins for two reasons. First the car has 145k and I figured while I was in there fresh shocks would be smart. Second the car squats like crazy when you accelerate hard. I was hoping that eventually transitioning all four corners to Bilsteins would help this.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the Gen II's/Bilstein setup and couldn't be happier. The ride is decidedly firmer and more controlled feeling. I also installed h-sport sway bars.
Gen II's were a good decision for me since I am a "spirited" driver. I love going around corners as fast as I can and that can be a challenge in a 4300 lb. car.
Old 01-13-2012, 03:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Mike B
I have the Gen II's/Bilstein setup and couldn't be happier. The ride is decidedly firmer and more controlled feeling. I also installed h-sport sway bars.
Gen II's were a good decision for me since I am a "spirited" driver. I love going around corners as fast as I can and that can be a challenge in a 4300 lb. car.
Glad to hear you are happy with it. If this was my only car I think I would probably go the same route as you. I think I am leaning towards just replacing the bad spring and swap Bilsteins on the back to start and then do the front maybe this summer.

I know what you mean about spirited. I drive the CRX about 1 out of 10 days. It really brings out the irresponsible driver in me. I don't speed, I just don't slow down for turns.
Old 01-13-2012, 04:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I went for Gen I's and Bilsteins up front to replace leaky bags and worn out shocks. Rear is still stock for now. Handling was transformed from a Buick/Cadillac mush and uninspiring cornering to a nice taunt and much crisper handling. Ride is not harsh, but noticeably firmer in a good way. Made the car fun to drive again. I would definitely recommend the Gen I's + Bilsteins up front for sure for a daily driver. Gen II's if you are 402ed or looking for maximum handling.

Rears will come later and will go the same route.
Old 01-14-2012, 07:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Im switching back to air suspension on my allroad. It has currently the arnott spring/bilstien setup. They were installed a year ago and have 20k on them. I'll be putting them for sale in a few weeks.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:33 PM
jav
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by slatebrick
<snip>
Yesterday on the way home from work I got the warning light for the first time. I punched it up to level 3 and it did recover. I do my own work so labor cost won't be an issue, but I am on the fence for Gen I vs. Gen II springs. For one thing I can't afford to swap all four corners right now from a time or money standpoint (our 3rd kid is on the way in a few weeks). So for now I will only be doing the rear.

<snip>
I have Gen II's up front and Gen I's in the rear with Bilstiens all around. I personally think the Gen II's have better control in lower settings and don't wallow as much over larger bumps.

However!!!! Based on your stated goals of cost being a large part of the issue, I'd recommend just putting Gen I's back on the rear and saving the money. I don't think by putting Gen II's on the rear you're going to notice an improvement whereas with sway bars you will. Money no object, you go with Gen II's all the way around, but in your case, save the $$.

Quick Reply: Gen I or Gen II replacement springs