Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Gas fumes

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 07:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bad news and bad news....first, the rollover recall was completed on my car last year. This was my bad as I actually had the letter/docs/receipt etc...however my confusion was started after getting a 10 hrs. labor quote from my indy and I would have remembered such a repair of that extent. This is why I didn't even check. Come to find out the dealer told me it took them only 2 hrs as position of recalled nipple was on top/front of gas tank -- much easier to get to as only need to drop tank a foot to repair. Second, and here's the bummer, my leak is coming from a different nipple (or could be crack in tank) located in top/back of tank so would require total drop of backend including axle to completely diagnose and then repair. Either way it's a 10 hr min labor deal!! plus added cost of epoxy repair or worst total replacement of tank - the latter requires still more hours of labor beyond the exorbitant part cost.

Drumroll please...total costs will range depending on actual source of leak - from min of $1000 (simple nipple patch) to $3500 (new tank replacement). OUCH!!. Thought of the day...if tank needs replaced do I go with new at $2500 or used and save a ton of $$. Either way SUCKS because buying new only replaces with the same crappy, engineered part or used gives you the same with no warranty. And know what's worse than this?...making the repair and knowing that it's likely to break again right after the warranty period - and should you get lucky that it happens under warranty my guess it will be for parts only - gee thanks!

With other costly repairs just waiting on the horizon I guess I will be only making half fill-ups and loving that sweet aroma of gas fumes.
Old 09-20-2009, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last suggestion....

If it were me, I'd call AoA..being extremely complementary about the car, the service, the dealer etc. Let them know you have maintained the car by the book and did the recall. Now a year later to find another tank related issue..gas, smell, etc.

AoA has been known on safety items like a tank to bend over.. and good will the repair. Sometimes 100!, sometimes parts, or 50%..it varies. But nothing to loose by trying.
Old 09-20-2009, 07:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Good suggestion. Save me some time.. have a phone number?
As you said nothing to lose. Thanks.
Old 09-20-2009, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

https://secure-www.audi.com/us/brand...ner=layerModal

or 1-800-FOR-AUDI (367-2834)
Old 09-20-2009, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

I ve had my tank repaired twice, Long story Its on here if you search. Got AOA to cover it. Wasnt ez the first time, IMO the Service Manger has a lot to do with what AOA will cover,

Old 09-20-2009, 01:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Crikeys! That's what an Allroad gas tank looks like? Sheesh, what a complicated blow mold piece.........it's a wonder any of them hold gas......I assume the OP's problem is with one of the other nipples up on the level where the filler port is?
Old 09-21-2009, 06:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

This is good to know -- certainly not that you had problems but confirming others have had similar if not worse experiences. This is my other large concern...when will the next leak spring forth. As allroaddave stated so eloquently "it's a wonder any of them hold gas". Also as thejulex I believe hinted...there was a time prior to the recall that entire tanks were being replaced??

In any case AoA did contact me and the dealer today and advised they would get back to me -- extremely responsive considering I just sent the email yesterday afternoon! Certainly refreshing in these days of customer no service.

Allroaddave, would you mind terribly saving me some time and provide a brief synopsis...same problem/location of leak on each? resolution?

As it now stands they are confirming if this falls under the recall...already determined it does not --- and possibly confering with the service mgr. As eluded this individual's input might play a significant role in how this might be resolved. This would be unfortunate as inevitably objectivity would be put into question. The line "loyalty has its privileges" comes to mind --- doesn't bode well for those who use indys.

It my stand that the dealer should not be put in the middle of these cases.
Sure, they are needed to confirm problem and diagnose but hopefully stop short of opinion/stance.
While I respect and condone that loyal customers deserve special treatment certain situations like these sit outside those lines. It is my contention that it is a badly designed part susceptible to defects, recall or otherwise. While I understand and appreciate that a recall (voluntary or not) was initiated on a certain part of the tank, still this should not preclude them from accepting responsibility for other documented safety flaws. I hope and trust that they will see this not as an isolated, infrequent incident but one in which they have an obligation to further protect its customers. Here's to doing the right thing!!
Old 09-21-2009, 06:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Oops...sorry I meant for Duracell to kindly provide a brief synopsis or a link. thanks a bunch in advance!
Old 09-21-2009, 06:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree, based on what I see in the pic of the tank and the closeup of the broken nipple, what's to keep one of the other nipples from doing the same thing - same materials, same construction, all three have to be intact to contain the fuel.

I'd be curious as to why the one in the pic broke, what caused the torque or vibration that fractured the plastic? Did the hose come out of it's retainer or...?

Does gasoline cause the plastic nipples to become brittle and they just break?

Enquiring minds want to know!
Old 09-22-2009, 03:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

This is why such a repair paid by AOA is called a "good will" repair. Both sides of the table have to demonstrate their good will.

The customer can do this being being complementary to the brand and dealer, confirming their desire to drive and stay with the brand.. even commenting about the new cars being released and the hope to test one and perhaps buy one down the road. All of this plays a part in AoA's decision for optional repairs.

Go meet your service guy and explain your view and how you need his help.

Quick Reply: Gas fumes