Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Gas fumes

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 06:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas fumes

I have an '02 and for several months have been experiencing strong gas fumes, both while sitting/parked and to some extent while driving. Sometimes as strong as if I was carrying a gas container in the cabin. It is especially strong upon fill-up or sitting in garage. Familiar to anyone?

I just completed 80K service and TB. Indy did not advise any issues with gas smell but did fix a couple of vacuum hoses too during service. CEL was on before going in and was only off for a few days afterwards.

CEL (lean condition) is back on and had indy inspect, VAG/recheck and clear it. This light has continuously been on for several months and Indy felt nothing serious (barring any blinking) as likely another hose leak somewhere that he could not readily id without further work (smoke, etc) --He advised to investigate at next service interval or earlier if notice performance issues.

I don't record gas mileage (aka I don't want to know lol) so not sure if it has been affected and driving performance doesn't feel to have been deteriorated.

I feel these fumes are likely the cause of the CEL -- could gas fumes be related to the lean condition as code always indicates?? Has anyone experienced this and if so how resolved, repair, idea of costs? Thanks.
Old 09-15-2009, 03:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes.. lean; not enough fuel to the engine. You have a leak and its a dangerous one to wait on.
Old 09-15-2009, 04:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Ok,wonderful ...I'll call the indy tomorrow. Is this something common and have you experienced it? Venture to guess on how intensive/costly to fix? If in fact a gas leak (seemingly obvious to the nose) it must be small because I don't see any puddling...good thing I don't smoke huh. One positive angle I could see some mpg improvement!
Old 09-15-2009, 05:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

MPG improvements on the dashboard computer or actual miles driven per gallongs you poured in? Keep in mind that if your car is squirting gas around engine bay and that fuel was meant for the cylinders to burn in, your car thinks it burns less (since less fuel makes it into the cylinders) but you are still epxending as much or even more fuel than normal.

If I had a guess, I would say that a fuel hose or regulator in engine bay is leaking on you. Or maybe even injector. Neither one is safe as the second the fuel squirts around manifolds you will have engine bay fire.
Old 09-16-2009, 05:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the input. I am calling the indy in a few minutes and this could help in the dialog. I'll check back with outcome.
Old 09-16-2009, 06:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

the smell is not a common issue. The cause can be anything from a faulty gas line to a valve to the tank, etc. No way to diagnose on the web.
Old 09-17-2009, 01:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Just returned from Indy and diagnosed a leak in top of fuel tank...likely coming from evaporative hose or its entry point area to tank. Either way mucho, mucho labor ($$$)to drop tank to repair or even more labor to replace tank which in of itself is costly too. A used tank could be sourced to trim costs but repair time is unchanged.

Most importantly it was determined there is little/no risk for fire because of rear location and small size of leak. Because of this I am leaving unrepaired for now and avoiding topping of the tank as causes more leakage due to splashing. A repair estimate of $1400-$2600 makes this an easy decision for now. Unfortunately must now live with CEL and could make any other future issues less apparent. I would prefer to save for the eventual valve cover and suspension repair.
Old 09-17-2009, 01:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

before you do this...... play dumb.

Just go to the dealer for the rollover nipple recall repair. It involves dropping the tank. They may fix it as part of the repair.

Call the dealer and give them your VIN and ask if the recall was done, as you bought it used, etc.

Last edited by paulroad; 09-17-2009 at 06:59 PM.
Old 09-17-2009, 03:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yup, there was a recall for these tanks and it is a fire hazard hovewer you look at it. I think AoA can be pursuaded to cover that if it is not a part of recall already.
Old 09-17-2009, 04:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Wow, that could be huge..thanks for the info paulroad!
This sounds exactly like the problem I have.
Tks thejulex, 10-4...just checked this site and my car should qualify as part of the '02 recall on 4/8/08.
http://www.usedcarsplus.com/audi-rec...oad/index.html

I purchased this car as a second owner back in '05 but never rec'd any kind of notice/letter for this particular problem...hmmm.
I am hoping my VIN is included and if not it should have been.

I will gladly call my local dealer first thing tomorrow.

Thanks again -- Stay tuned!

Quick Reply: Gas fumes