Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Functions as Designed

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 08:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Functions as Designed

I left my allroad in the garage for 2 weeks while I toured the Southwest & Big Bend in Texas. It was still on level 4 when I got home. Battery was still charged too. Just making a point that the air & electrical system can function as designed. For those that hope for better mileage, I can verify a 2009 Camry with a 4 cylinder gets 32mpg. It will also make you feel quite insignificant & powerless. The allroad, for a little more expense, at least gives a feeling of superiority (false ;-)), not to mention invigorating adrenaline rushes. No way I was going to put 5K on the allroad with only 10K left on my warranty. Chicken? You Betcha. By the way avoid taking your vacation to the South during spring break. What a PITA. One more observation, Highway 550 from Montrose to Durango makes the Tail of the Dragon seem weak.
Old 03-21-2009, 03:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default level 4 ????

I thought the resting mode - and for that matter, general driving mode, was Level 2 - I only use 3 and 4 rarely for high water and such - and of course, the smart little allroad changes to 1 when I'm blasting down the highway lickydisplit

Last edited by pcasa; 03-21-2009 at 05:00 AM.
Old 03-21-2009, 04:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by pcasa
I thought the resting mode - and for that matter, general driving mode, was Level 2 - I only use 3 and 4 rarely for high water and such - and of course, the smart little allroad changes to 1 when I'm blasting down the highway lickadysplit
Yes, the ar is designed to be driven regularly on level 2. Debris that becomes embedded in the air springs rubber folds is often what wears through. So, I thoroughly washed the ar & then the air springs at level 4 before parking it. I let it dry that way with the hope any debris will dislodge. And, I wanted to test the system. IMHO, whatever stresses that are placed on the system at rest would be insignificant.
Old 03-21-2009, 04:25 AM
Banned

those cars are designed to drive daily.you are very right 2009 Camry with 4 cylinders can give satisfaction.
Old 03-21-2009, 04:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I'll use three for deep snow, and light trails, 4 when I think I need a bit more (deep puddle, very deep snow) usually same areas. Most of the time I'm in one (hwy) and two (city street).

My other car is an MCS, I'm getteing 33 mpg hwy (25 streets), and despite the size does not feel insignificant or powerless. I love it on a back road or onthe city streets, but on the hwy it leaves something to be desired. For me, and where I live it really is the perfect complement to my allroad.
Old 03-21-2009, 04:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default great!

good answers from all - I too have a daily driver - my "baby" car - 4 cylinder A4 Avant -6 speed - it's like driving a go-kart! - efficient, easy to drive - but nothing like the allroad ... picked up the new "beast" on Thursday (the Q7) - unbelievable car - but only will be for highway miles and towing my little airstream - yes, I know I'm sick - no one person should own three cars!

Last edited by pcasa; 03-21-2009 at 04:58 AM.
Old 03-21-2009, 05:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

If you can do it all power to you. But if I was able to add a third to my stable I'd go with an S/A5 love the GT styling, just not in love with the engines, hope they throw a 3.0t in the 5 soon.
Old 03-21-2009, 05:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

it really just came down to not being able to give up the allroad!
Old 03-21-2009, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by finiki
I left my allroad in the garage for 2 weeks while I toured the Southwest & Big Bend in Texas. It was still on level 4 when I got home. Battery was still charged too. Just making a point that the air & electrical system can function as designed. For those that hope for better mileage, I can verify a 2009 Camry with a 4 cylinder gets 32mpg. It will also make you feel quite insignificant & powerless. The allroad, for a little more expense, at least gives a feeling of superiority (false ;-)), not to mention invigorating adrenaline rushes. No way I was going to put 5K on the allroad with only 10K left on my warranty. Chicken? You Betcha. By the way avoid taking your vacation to the South during spring break. What a PITA. One more observation, Highway 550 from Montrose to Durango makes the Tail of the Dragon seem weak.
Never driven the 'tail (which apparently has endless tight turns). But it is hard to imagine it being as spectacular scenery wise as 550 and Red Mountain pass.

Old 03-21-2009, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default If not the curves maybe the avalanches will get you :-0

[QUOTE=downindenver;23745046]Never driven the 'tail (which apparently has endless tight turns). But it is hard to imagine it being as spectacular scenery wise as 550 and Red Mountain pass.

The Tail of the Dragon lacks the element of "imminent death" for error IMHO.

550 is made more exciting when avalanche warnings are posted as well.
Attached Images    

Last edited by finiki; 03-21-2009 at 04:11 PM. Reason: add title

Quick Reply: Functions as Designed