Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Front turn signal bulb replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2004, 01:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front turn signal bulb replacement

Hi everyone,

I did a search but couldn't find the answer to my question. Can someone explain to me how I can replace the turn signal bulb inside the headlight assembly on a 2004 AR?

The manual says to take it to the dealer but I'm hoping it is a DIY job. Does the headlight unit need to be removed to do this?

Thanks a lot in advance!
Stephan
Old 12-15-2004, 07:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Right side ? or Left? HID or regular Halogen?

I haven't done this yet. So somebody with practical knowledge should step in here.

Paraphrasing from what I see in the repair manual...

The turn signal bulb in a headlight is on the end of a dagger-like plastic stick that is inserted into the rear of the headlight assembly. Getting to it is the problem.

Access on the RIGHT side is blocked by the air guide (air tube at top of the grill) and air filter housing. Directions say remove that intake tube and box assembly to get to it. Then you should be able to reach in and turn the "stick" counterclock-wise and remove the turn signal bulb. Then turn the bulb to remove from the stick.

Access on the LEFT side is blocked by the Power Steering's plastic cover and reservoir. If you can't get your hand in there after moving that cover, you might have to remove the headlight assembly to get at the turn signal. The directions are vague about whether this is necessary, but I think they suggest as much.

The Headlight bulbs are protected behind a kidney shaped plastic cover fastened to the rear of the headlight assembly by two wire tension clips. You do NOT need to remove that cover to do the turn signals.

If you have to remove the unit. Not to scare you, but the repair manual starts off with "Remove Bumper". And it contains warnings about high voltages and to disconnect all power. And to re-aim your lights when put back together. Then it goes into how to remove the headlight housing by undoing the 3 Torx-30 bolts. Two are real obvious fastening the tabs at the top. The other one is in a slightly recessed hole a few inches rearward and toward the outside, near the fender.

I think the Bently CD is a lousy resource for this stuff. It just shows the headlight assembly drawing alone, but not whether you can get to the turn signal without having to take the whole assembly out.. It is not very descriptive. There's no discussion or general summary for this.

Repair at your own risk. If you have nothing better to do, have fun. Otherwise drop by the dealer and let them sweat it.
Old 12-16-2004, 06:11 AM

Default Re: Right side ? or Left? HID or regular Halogen?

Hi SeeksAR,

Thanks a lot for your help on this. The lights are the xenons and I need to get to both of the bulbs. I'm moving to Europe and need to replace the orange bulbs with white ones since they don't allow the orange parking lights (but do allow white turn signals) and I was hoping I could do this myself.

I was thinking about getting the Bentley manual but I think you have answered this for me since it doesn't seem a very big help. I had the Bentley for my Touareg and it wasn't much of a help there either.

I think this might be something for the dealer, I'll ask them when I take it in for the 5k service.
Thanks again, I appreciate it!
Stephan
Old 12-16-2004, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default it's a bitch. I think the easiest way is to ...

remove the wheel well liner....as I've seen it done this way...on my 2001 A6.

If you are still in warranty...I say...bring it to the dealer and let them do it.

-ted