Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Ex-PzW and others: any trick to getting a valve cover gasket to actually do it's job?

Old 12-26-2008, 12:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ex-PzW and others: any trick to getting a valve cover gasket to actually do it's job?

I installed a two new ones a few weeks ago. My driver's side is leaking from rear, bottom corner. I put a little bit of gasket maker in the valleys as indicated in many articles and Bentley. I'm looking at probably 2-4 drops of oil overnight. I'm pulling off my belly pan again tonight to see if the oil is coming from another location but I can feel the oil from the corning I mentioned with my finger and I can see it there with a mirror/flashlight.

Any feedback appreciated. Not sure why this one is having issues. Maybe a warped valve cover?
Old 12-26-2008, 01:38 PM

Default Well no. As most German cars are prone to all manner of oil leaks.

It's quite possible that the real problem is the VVT solenoid gasket. But removal of all traces of oil, then coat VC and head with permatex 300, and reassemble. Make sure to do camplugs as well. Should hold for about 2 years or so.
Old 12-26-2008, 02:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Thank you sir

I replaced the cap on the passenger side but did not do the drivers side yet. hmmmm, guess I should go back in there and install.

So, ok to put sealant on VC and head and then put old gasket back on? Again, less then 2 weeks on new gasket. I assume same for center gasket over plugs just to be sure?

As always, thanks for your professional input and wisdom, cdr.

eric
Old 12-26-2008, 04:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

What's your thought on Reinzosil sealant instead? I am using this from PureMS.
Old 12-26-2008, 05:04 PM

Default If it's the grey RTV type sealant you must wait at least 12 hours

for it to cure before using the engine. I also don't like RTV sealants and gaskets , as they don't work well together. The RTV allows the gaskets to squeeze out, it acts like a high pressure grease.
Old 12-26-2008, 05:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Interesting. yes, its the grey type. I'll pick up some permatex 300 and try it.

I just took a closer look with a mirror. Looks like the drivers camplug is a little leaky. I have a couple so I'll pop one in there tomorrow just to be sure.
Old 12-26-2008, 05:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Just use a small dab od rtv in the corners as you did, Do not cover the head & v/c with

Permatex 300 this will not solve anything & make a mess when it comes time to do this again. A rubber gasket ONLY requires a bit of sealant in the corners & proper installation. I have done probably 100 audi v6 valve covers in the past couple years with NO leaks & no additional sealant other than the corners. A general rule of thumb with sealant is less is more. Adding additional sealant is really only more places to leak. especally when dealing with rtv. when we add a layer of RTV to a gasket we have now created more places to leak. we now have a seam between head & rtv, rtv & gasket, gasket & rtv, & rtv & valve cover. Whereas just rubber to head & rubber to V/C.

Modern gaskets & machining are so good that additional sealants are a thing of the past. sealants like permatex 300 come from a time of poor machine work, rough castings, stamped metal covers & thin paper or cork gaskets.
Old 12-26-2008, 05:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Good feedback

So, would you recommend using the same 2 week old (new) gasket with 150 miles on it again? Or just wait until Monday when I can get another new one. I'll p;ull off the cover again tomorrow, clean and re-install. I will also replace the camplug which I did not do the first time around.
Old 12-26-2008, 08:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default if it is the gasket leaking either you did not tighten the valve cover properly or the gasket

fell out of place & was probably damaged when the valve cover was installed. I would replace the gaskets.