Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

DIY - Replacing a side view mirror / removing door panel

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 11:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DIY - Replacing a side view mirror / removing door panel

This was such a simple job it barely justifies a posting, but in the absence of information before a repair, any repair can be daunting. Plus there is one tool you'll need.

I had to replace my driver's side view mirror. These are SUPER expensive. I got lucky any found a really cheap one at $90 on ebay (junk yard). Before that, the cheapest I had found was $325 and was the wrong color.

The whole thing took less than half an hour. If you have a memory mirror, you have to remove the door panel because of the wiring. Otherwise, the swap out would take 10 minutes, tops.

1. Remove two small screws on each end of the door "trim", as they call the panel. They're at the top.

2. Using a small phillips screw driver as a poker, press it up into the vertical hole under the arm rest to release a pressed latch on the window switch block. This will let you lift the block up and remove it.

3. Lift the door panel striaght up. It's entirely hung on large hooks, rather than the cheap push in plugs that I'm used to. Pull the door panel away from the door. Now, you're supposed to unhook the Bowden (door latch) cable, but after looking at it briefly, I was not about to mess with that, dreading the reassembly! So, I left the bottom hooks engaged and used a bungie cord to keep the panel from falling away from the door. I did remove the cable housing from the bracket, leaving the very end of the cable hooked into the latch. This may or may not be necessary. If it looks like you have enough room to move the panel out of the way w/o disconnecting the cable housing, then leave it hooked up.

4. Disconnecting the connector near the switch block was tricky, only because I wasn't sure exactly how to do it. Looking at the connector on the new mirror showed me that they separately much lower than where I was trying. Once I saw that, it was simple.

5. Pull the small interior trim piece off the mirror mount just above the door panel. This exposes a 10mm triple square bolt, for which you need a bit.

6. Remove the foam "plug" under the mirror mount - pay attention to how you're removing it, to eliminate any question when reinstalling it. Note the connector fitted up under it.

7. Remove the connector under this plug and disconnect it. You can now remove the bolt and the mirror.

8. Bolt on the new mirror.

9. Reconnect the top connector and insert it into the back of the foam plug and press the plug back into place.

10. Reconnect the connector near the switch block.

11. Replace the door panel. Make sure all the hooks are lined up correctly, while simultaneously getting the lock "lever" started in the hole at the top of the panel. Push the whole panel up against the frame and then downwards. It takes hardly effort to get it back in place. No need to force mine before the screw holes were in the right positions.

12. Replace screws. Replace switch block.

You're done!
Old 12-07-2011, 12:37 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default THANK YOU

Thanks for this Todd, much appreciated.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:50 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome - saved me a bundle! I was able to loosen & retighten the bolt with a 5/16 inch allen wrench