Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Did read FAQ Need clarity on Euro-Hitches

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did read FAQ Need clarity on Euro-Hitches

I've read archives til I'm cross-eyed and am THIS CLOSE to comprehnsion but need to understand a detail about the following two options:

First link is to Eurohitches Bosal offering. It cost $1175 without wiring or shipping!! Question is, is the included "OEM Bumper reinforcement piece" part of all Euro-kits? Is it really needed? Is that piece what makes this so expensive?

http://www.eurohitches.com/index.php...&products_id=5

Second Link is to pfjones Westfalia unit, which I understand is what the last group buy was. They priced me $805 with a [U]7-pin wiring harnessand shipping to my door included. How does this compare to the group buy price? This doesn't have the "reinforcement bar" does it? I'm thinking this will be the way to go - comments please if anyone sees a problem. Thanks!

http://www.pfjones.co.uk/a6-allroad-...e-tow-bar.html
Old 09-12-2009, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

There is a plate on the US models so this should not be needed. As part of the install the plate is removed and than reattached to the hitch. I have the Westfalia hitch and was part of the group buy. I believe your price is $200 to $300 higher, can't remember the exact cost. If it's an 02 or newer the electrical is installed and all that is needed is a 13 pin adapter to connect either a 7 pin or 4 pin plug. The Westfalia is a straight foreword install except there needs to be hooks for the safety chains installed.
Old 09-12-2009, 07:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks - mine is an '04; so if they can ship the westfalia to me with a 7 pin harness, won't I be plug'n'play without needing to buy any other adapter?

I'd sure like to save that $200-$300.....enough peeps out there for a second-chance group buy?
Old 09-12-2009, 07:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

The pfjones dealer for the Westfalia asked me "do you want 7 pin or 13 pin electronics with it?". I do want to choose 7 pin , right?
Old 09-12-2009, 07:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Not sure what they meant by 7 pin adapter. The plug on the car is 13 pin, if what they are saying is a 13 to 7 pin adapter that should work. You can purchase 7 to 4 pin adapters locally.
Old 09-12-2009, 07:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Boy howdy I'm glad my car came with a factory US hitch already installed!
Old 09-13-2009, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

allroaddave how right you are!

I bought a Westfalia hitch on the group buy and did the install on my 2001, let me clear up a few things:

-You do not need to by a filler plate "reinforcement plate", the US cars already have one. You remove the plate then re drill the mounting holes using a template that comes with the hitch. I could not get the holes on mine to line up perfectly, but with some fiddling I was able to mount it to my satisfaction.

-I am not sure what the pre wired harness end looks like on your car as I did not have this on mine. If "rdar" has actually purchased a 7 to 4 pin adapter then I would love to know where. From what I found, the 7 pin euro plug is not adaptable with anything sold in the U.S. I have a 13 to 7 pin plug in my hand and it's different from a US 7 pin. Eurohitch also says that the 7 pin Euro can be easily adapted. When I asked them to show me where & how they backpedaled & said I would have to re-wire my trailer to match the car.

-I have posted this before. The cheapest, simplest, most reliable way to get lights is to buy a Powered Tailight Converter http://www.amazon.com/Hopkins-46255-.../dp/B000CMKG6O

The other option is to buy the female Euro 7 or 13 pin plug (trailer side) and wire that to a converter. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/13-Pin-Euro-Pl...#ht_2111wt_847
Old 09-13-2009, 04:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

You will need a 13 pin plug for the electrical on the 04 allroad. This is what I ordered http://www.towingandtrailers.co.uk/c...03&category=89. You can either install a 7 pin plug or a 4 pin adapter to the 13 pin plug. You will have to do some wiring but it is straight forward. The 13 to 7 pin adapters from the EU will not work. If you have any questions drop me an e-mail.
Old 09-13-2009, 05:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Praise to Audiworld! I believe I finally get it. My '04 doesn't need any wiring harness from pfjones; so hopefully they will knock the price down.

All I need is the cheap plug rdar has put up a link for.

rdar - do you have any info on which pin on the car's 13 pin outputs which signal to guide your wiring to the accessory plug, or did you just have to "trial-and-error" it?
Old 09-13-2009, 06:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

How does one vary the tongue height with these odd curved Euro ball- mounts? I've pulled horse trailers and know that getting the trailer-tongue at the right angle is crucial, by varying the inches of drop on the ball-mount you select to go in to the receiver of a good ol' square-post class II hitch.

Quick Reply: Did read FAQ Need clarity on Euro-Hitches