Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

cv boots totally ripped and spraying grease

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 01:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cv boots totally ripped and spraying grease

while replacing my rotors and pads on my 02 AR, i was dismayed to discover that both front cv boots are completely rupptured and have sprayed grease everywhere...so pissed at the audi dealer who sold me this car almost 1 year ago, as im sure they were probably leaking then, (my bad for not inspecting) anyways does anyone have a price figure for getting this repaired and is it an easy DIY....it looked pretty time consuming and difficult thanks in advance for any advice
Old 06-22-2009, 07:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

based on mileage you may consider getting the joints rebuilt, the labor you'll pay to have a boot replaced is a good chunk. you can purchase rebuilt axles for a reasonable cost. I had to have all mine rebuilt at 75k
Old 06-24-2009, 01:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default might just be normal wear...

Originally Posted by gbwilson34
while replacing my rotors and pads on my 02 AR, i was dismayed to discover that both front cv boots are completely rupptured and have sprayed grease everywhere...so pissed at the audi dealer who sold me this car almost 1 year ago, as im sure they were probably leaking then, (my bad for not inspecting) anyways does anyone have a price figure for getting this repaired and is it an easy DIY....it looked pretty time consuming and difficult thanks in advance for any advice
boots can go pretty quickly depending on climate/usage so a year ago they may have been fine.

as I recall audi usually charges about 2 hours shop per side plus parts.

DIY: certainly doable if your inclined to such.
You'll need to remove
the main hub/axle bolt which is a high torque bolt
remove inner cv/hub bolts from transmission flange (some consider this optional, I prefer dealing with the cleaning/refitting on a bench).
remove the upper a-arm pinch bolt (a.k.a. by me as the bitch-bolt) which often is frozen and requires some effort to remove, this "step" can take you hours if it is in bad shape. search for articles on it.
The cv joint itself has to be removed to replace the boot which requires a puller.
you'll need clamp crimp pliers to put the new boot clamps on.

reassemble in reverse order.

If the joint needs to be replaced you're better off getting a whole axle rebuild. 2 fulls axle with both joints, boots and greased and presealed is about $450 from raxles.com you'll pay more than that for the outer joints and boots from audi.

there are several detailed how-to's such as:

https://www.audiworld.com/tech/wheel.html

fj..
Old 06-24-2009, 03:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

I've had cv boots last 6mo. Can't really blame the dealer. They are considered a "wear item."

Find a good local indy to help you out. You need a fair amount of tools to DYI. I'd say you're looking at about $400 in labor and $60 in parts, depending on where you're at.
Old 06-26-2009, 03:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Easy DIY...assuming they're the outer boots. Rplacement boots are about $20 each, comes with new grease, boot and hardware. The only concern is how long the boots been ripped and exposed to water and stuff. But it might still be good.