Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Crankshaft position sensor

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2018, 02:59 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crankshaft position sensor

Hey folks,

Just to be clear, I've read the other threads in relation to this sensor and I'm fairly certain it's the source of my woes. My question is if anyone can tell me can I access it from above? I don't have a shop and the only jack I have isn't great (in between places, not logical for me to purchase one right now) so I'm hoping someone can tell me if it's possible from above without my having to pull everything out of the way, only to find out that I can't.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Audi + long term reliability = does not compute
Old 03-05-2018, 06:42 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have you hooked up a vagcom and pulled codes?
that sensor will throw a particular code if it is failing

also, which motor/year car do you have? mileage? mods?

when yall post, either put that in the post or put that in your signature, that is pertinent information to help diagnose like this

i found some info, but wont post it up till there are more details, because it might not help you
Old 03-05-2018, 07:13 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Sorry, my bad. It's a 2001 allroad with 191k km on the clock, manual transmission.

I brought it to the local "luxury car" shop, and when he put the computer on it there were multiple codes, I didn't see them myself. He said that it was likely a relay controlling the ecu. I had already purchased a fuel pump relay from audi (because the no start symptoms were similar to when my fuel pump died 1.5yrs ago, I replaced that though and it is still working) that I hadn't fitted yet because when I bench tested the old relay I found it was working properly. He told me if it happened again I should try putting that relay in... That wasn't it, as I was suspecting.

So the car dies after about 45-60 mins of driving and when I've come to a stop. It cuts out as I go to accelerate again. When I try to start it up again the engine turns over but doesn't fire up. I can hear the fuel pump prime, the relay engages, the starter is working fine, I have a check engine and EPC light only when it's in this condition. It'll start again once I've left the engine to cool down for at least an hour, with no fault lights displayed.

I haven't had a computer on it again since Friday.

Cheers.
Old 03-06-2018, 03:23 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

kool, sounds like you might have ruled out the fuel pump
here is the link to the serach i did on a different forum, hopefully some of the info there matches up with the symptoms your having
Search

here is another search from a different forum, even more info
http://www.audizine.com/forum/search...archid=8388848

Last edited by PaperToast; 03-06-2018 at 03:27 PM.
Old 03-07-2018, 12:52 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by PaperToast
kool, sounds like you might have ruled out the fuel pump
here is the link to the serach i did on a different forum, hopefully some of the info there matches up with the symptoms your having
Search

here is another search from a different forum, even more info
Audizine Forums
Cheers papertoast,

Looks like I could be right about the ckp. Just need to know if I can access from above. I'll probably just pull it apart tonight and find out the hard way 🤞🏼