Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

CLUTCH PROBLEM ! noisy for couple days and not engaging ...

Old 01-25-2014, 09:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CLUTCH PROBLEM ! noisy for couple days and not engaging ...

Clutch started to make some clicking noise when pressing down couple days ago and last night i cant engage any gear ! after trying few times, reving, turning car on and off i could engage and at least drive home ! i cant feel any signs of "slipping" ... this morning everything still the same, clicking noise still there and hard to engage any gear... when car is off SOMETIMES i can engage...car had 140k on it and never did the clutch or anything related ! it is time to do the clutch or should i look on anything else before i get there ?
thanks in advance
Old 01-25-2014, 03:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry to say, I had the exact same issue with my 2003 ar 6mt. Audi uses a stupid plastic face on the release bearing. Exact same symptoms happened to me. Refused to engage. Then a day later, worked fine. Then nothing. Pulled trany and found the plastic face on the release bearing was disintegrating, preventing engagement. Indie suggested SOLiD face release bearing, like used by racers. These don't wear out.

Did new disk and PP since the trany was out, even though they were still in great shape at 90k.

All because of $1 piece of plastic on the release bearing spec'ed by Audi.
Old 01-27-2014, 12:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I was hoping to be the master/slave cilinder but had a feeling about the whole clutch since it is 140k on it... how hard is it to do the whole clutch job ?

Originally Posted by Worldwidebeagle
Sorry to say, I had the exact same issue with my 2003 ar 6mt. Audi uses a stupid plastic face on the release bearing. Exact same symptoms happened to me. Refused to engage. Then a day later, worked fine. Then nothing. Pulled trany and found the plastic face on the release bearing was disintegrating, preventing engagement. Indie suggested SOLiD face release bearing, like used by racers. These don't wear out.

Did new disk and PP since the trany was out, even though they were still in great shape at 90k.

All because of $1 piece of plastic on the release bearing spec'ed by Audi.
Old 01-27-2014, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tranny has to come out.

Replace the rear main seal and the pilot bearing in the crankshaft while the tranny is out.
Old 02-10-2014, 05:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

i tried to do the slave cylinder over the weekend and the rod felt inside so now i gonna have to do the whole clutch job anyway :/ planning to do this weekend ! anybody knows a good thread for clutch replacement and the best kit out there ? thanks