Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Automatic/manual suspension modes

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2001, 06:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Automatic/manual suspension modes

I don't think that I'm particularly stupid, but I can't figure out what the difference is when the manual light (on the suspension level indicator) is illuminated and when it isn't. No matter whether it was set to auto or manual, after taking off in the third or highest suspension mode, the car always returns to two lights after high speed driving with.

Is it my car, or do all of them act this way?
Old 03-25-2001, 03:36 PM

Default Re: Automatic/manual suspension modes

Here's my understanding:
- In either mode, it drops from third level to second when you go over about 40 mph
- In manual mode, car stays in second level even if you go 80 mph. If you are in auto mode, exceeding 75 mph for a minute or so will drop the car to the lowest level. Back at lower speed, the auto mode returns the car to second level automatically.
So, you are not stupid,just driving too slowly:-)!
Old 03-26-2001, 11:54 AM

Default can't get it to drop to 1st level reliably

I go above 75 quite often, and keep it there for more than a minute, but in manual or auto the car doesn't drop to the first light. we've even looked at it to see if it starts to flash.

Saturday we did an experiment - we drove 80+ for 5 minutes in automatic mode, and stayed at the 2nd light the whole time. I pushed the down button and dropped to the first light, where I stayed even after exiting the freeway and coming to a stop. Sigh.

And yes I'm in auto mode, as the yellow MAN light isn't on.

Michael
Old 03-26-2001, 09:40 PM

I can also say that I have tried many times to have this thing drop to first level above 75 for a few minutes and it DOES NOT lower itself. I am calling service to address this.
wolfy
Old 04-01-2001, 08:29 PM
lio

Default Re: can't get it to drop to 1st level reliably

The lights for the suspension, abs and traction control come on after a few minutes and stay on until I stop and start up again. None of the leds are lit with regard to what level I'm at, but it appears to be level 1. I took it to the dealer and they found a faulty switch and have ordered a new one.
I just got it three days ago and love the way it handles, but I am rather irritated that these things weren't found when the dealer did their inspections. I bought it through a broker and it was trucked here from out of state, so I am wondering if the ride it took had something to do with this.
Old 06-11-2002, 07:48 AM

I'm having similar problems, but little success in resolving the issue. Today is the 3rd attempt that service has had at getting the suspension to automatically drop to level 1. On visit 2 they replaced a switch; on visit 3 the response was "it does not drop automatically, that is an error in the manual!!!!".

On setting the car to level 3 and driving ~40mph for a while the system automatically moves the suspension to level 2, then even if I drive at 80mph+ (on a closed road of course) for several minutes it just plain refuses to drop any lower. It will only drop if I use the manual mode.

--- 2001 Atlas Grey Six speed
--- 1999 Silver A4 1.8T Quatro Sport
Old 06-11-2002, 07:56 AM

I'm having similar problems, but little success in resolving the issue. Today is the 3rd attempt that service has had at getting the suspension to automatically drop to level 1. On visit 2 they replaced a switch; on visit 3 the response was "it does not drop to level 1 automatically, that is an error in the manual!!!!".

On setting the car to level 3 and driving ~40mph for a while the system automatically moves the suspension to level 2, then even if I drive fast enough 80mph+ (on a closed road of course) for several minutes it refuses to drop any lower. It will only drop if I use the manual mode.

Anyone have any ideas on getting from 3 to 4 suspension levels automatically?

2001 Atlas Grey, 6 sp, 3 to 4 suspsension levels
1999 Silver A4 1.8T Quatro SPort