Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Audio Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 10:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audio Upgrades

In my wanderings (of the web) I found some really cool sounding stereos for C5s out of China. They "appear" to be a perfect replacement for the factory systems. They have 7" touch screens with nav and you can add a rear view camera for only a few dollars more. They even use the steering wheel buttons. Does anyone have any experience with them?

Here is a link to one for reference.
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/grou...211331696.html
All are in the 420 to 470 range delivered. There appear to be 2 basic variations of physical unit and several of software. My big concern is the integration with the Bose amp.
Old 05-30-2013, 05:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm about to buy one of these myself. I've looked for generic 2 din radios with all the features that these ones have. They sell for about $280-300 which includes digital tv tuner. But by the time I add a facia/surround so I can fit a generic radio into my car, and all the wiring adapters for the cables and antenna etc, it actually comes close to $500 anyway. So I will just buy one of these.

What annoys me is that I don't have a multi-function steering wheel, so can't control the radio
Old 05-31-2013, 10:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Even if the hardware is of decent quality, the thing runs on Windows CE! Sounds like a software nightmare IMO.
Old 05-31-2013, 04:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I bought a Pioneer AVHP8400, works well. I contemplated the chinese knockoff type too but decided for the few extra bucks might as well be safe than sorry. The gps is an add on buy I usually know where I am going and on occasion I can use my phone or garmin or whatever. Not sure if it is worth it, it was not in my case.

as for other items I needed, here are the things I bought in-case you need them...

Steering wheel control -
Amazon.com: Metra Axxess ASWC Universal Steering Wheel Control Interface (Black)(DISCONTINUED): Electronics Amazon.com: Metra Axxess ASWC Universal Steering Wheel Control Interface (Black)(DISCONTINUED): Electronics

Installation kit -
Amazon.com: Scosche AU2380B 2000-Up Audi A6 DIN Pocket Installation Kit: Car Electronics Amazon.com: Scosche AU2380B 2000-Up Audi A6 DIN Pocket Installation Kit: Car Electronics

In case you want video without being in park -
Amazon.com: Parking Brake Override Bypass Fully Automatic Video in Motion Pioneer Custom for AVH-P8400BH Better then PAC TR7: Automotive Amazon.com: Parking Brake Override Bypass Fully Automatic Video in Motion Pioneer Custom for AVH-P8400BH Better then PAC TR7: Automotive

Backup camera -
Amazon.com: Boyo VTL422C Zinc Metal Bar Type License Plate (Black): Car Electronics Amazon.com: Boyo VTL422C Zinc Metal Bar Type License Plate (Black): Car Electronics

You will have to check for compatibility of course. I also added 11.2 inch monitors in my back seat for the kid...

Amazon.com: Universal Pair of Tview T110pl-black Headrests with 11.2 Inch Car Monitors: Car Electronics Amazon.com: Universal Pair of Tview T110pl-black Headrests with 11.2 Inch Car Monitors: Car Electronics

The infrared sound is not acceptable, I even bought a external one and it is not acceptable in my opinion. Sound is best over the main stereo but I have yet to play with Bluetooth headsets. (One of the reasons I bought this particular stereo was dual zone, I could play something to the back via headsets and have something different on the car speakers)

I needed an speaker adapter to work with my stereo (not bose) for the speakers to sound proper, can't remeber what it was but I could only get mine at a actual car stereo shop (not best buy) I would maybe make a call or two to some sound shops and see what is involved with the Bose. I got to know the good sound installer at my local best buy (he did my other car as well) and he did a great job and made sure I was happy. Guaranteed for as long as you own your car. Overall I spent a grand or so and it is great.

Hope this helps

Last edited by AllRoadMA; 09-13-2013 at 05:06 PM.
Old 06-08-2013, 04:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

My unit from China has arrived and installed. As advertised, it works straight out of the box. Remove the old unit, plug in the new unit, and it works ... well almost. The reverse camera isn't turning on. I've checked and it looks like there is no reverse camera signal. I'm not sure if it's because my car is not outputting it, or if the unit is broken. Other than that, quite happy so far with the unit
Old 06-10-2013, 07:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Encouraging! Thanks. Please let me know what you come up with on the backup camera. My car has been in the shop for over 2 weeks with a broken timing chain guide. I'll need to drive it a bit after it gets back before I trust it again but if all is well I will follow suit.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:29 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hey Borb, checked your link and that has a great collection. Infact, I found more than what I was looking for.
Audio systems in my view are the vital resources as they are the one when played aloud with right music thrill the drive....I hope I am correct!!!
Old 08-11-2013, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

So did you replace the door speakers? I have a 2001 A6 2.8 that has the funky non-Bose Haes speakers, they are slightly larger than 6-1/2" and have the tweeter higher up in the door. All the info I can find says these are 5-1/4", but there is no way this is the case - I pulled one and held it up to a 6-1/2" and it's larger. They also have the crazy 3 screw mounting pattern. I have one going out and wanted to replace both, but I'm coming up with nothing. Any ideas?