Go Back   AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi allroad
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Welcome to AudiWorld Forums!
Welcome to AudiWorld.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the AudiWorld Forums community today!


Reply
 
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2011, 04:44 AM   #1
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 200165
 
rylis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 12
Default Audi allroad oil leak 2.7T

Hi guys. I know this tread is posted already 100 times but I couldn't find the answer I'm looking for.

As I went through loads of discussions and websites I probably found the couse of oil leak in here:

http://www.blauparts.com/audi/audi_o...il_leaks.shtml

According to that I've got 'rear crankshaft seal leak' wicth will cause a collection of oil to accumulate and drip from the bottom of the bell housing area.

So now my question is where is that 'rear crankshaft seal' and how to change it. Believe me I've read loads of threads and wathed youtube videos but couldn't figer it out. I think it has some other name or so.

Help Please!!!
rylis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 05:29 AM   #2
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 166957
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 887
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rylis View Post
Hi guys. I know this tread is posted already 100 times but I couldn't find the answer I'm looking for.

As I went through loads of discussions and websites I probably found the couse of oil leak in here:

http://www.blauparts.com/audi/audi_o...il_leaks.shtml

According to that I've got 'rear crankshaft seal leak' wicth will cause a collection of oil to accumulate and drip from the bottom of the bell housing area.

So now my question is where is that 'rear crankshaft seal' and how to change it. Believe me I've read loads of threads and wathed youtube videos but couldn't figer it out. I think it has some other name or so.

Help Please!!!
Unfortunately, if that's what it is, it is in single worst spot you can imagine, inside the bell housing, behind flywheel.

Ensure that this is where it leaks before you disassemble the whole thing. It is far more probably that turbo oil line or turbo line distributor are leaking oil and it might look like it is coming from bell housing since the would be dripping on top of it. Is the oil coming from inside one of the bell housing opening and there is no sight of oiil flowing around bell housing or is it just flowing on the outside surface of bell housing? First one would probably be RMS/oil pan seal, second would be something above it.

The only way to access RMS is unfortunately after removing whole transmission and then unbolting the flywheel/flexplate (depending which tranny you have). It is an expensive fix if you don't do it yourself.

Last edited by thejulex; 01-11-2011 at 05:34 AM.
thejulex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 05:46 AM   #3
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 200165
 
rylis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 12
Default

Can u explain how does it work: 'collection of oil to accumulate and drip from the bottom of the bell housing area' as this happens inside (as i can imagine) or maybe u have some other guesses???
rylis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 06:53 AM   #4
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 166957
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 887
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rylis View Post
Can u explain how does it work: 'collection of oil to accumulate and drip from the bottom of the bell housing area' as this happens inside (as i can imagine) or maybe u have some other guesses???
Bell housing has several slots open for clutch ventilation and cooling, they are all around the bell housing where it meets the engine block. Leaking RMS would cause oil to drip down behind flywheel and collect in one area of bell housing. I said one area since bellhousing has reinforcement ridges on the inside wall which create rectangular cells which needs to fill out before the oil spill over to next cell/opening. Eventually you have so much oil there that it reaches one of the slots and flows out. There is a remote possibility that something leaking above drips right into one of the slots on top and after collecting inside of bell housing, flows out making it look like it is coming directly from inside but it is really not.

You have to really do some grease work here and look behind the engine from top and bottom to ensure you don't see any oil entering the bell housing or flowing around it before you deem RMS as the culprit.
thejulex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 08:14 AM   #5
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 200165
 
rylis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejulex View Post
Bell housing has several slots open for clutch ventilation and cooling, they are all around the bell housing where it meets the engine block. Leaking RMS would cause oil to drip down behind flywheel and collect in one area of bell housing. I said one area since bellhousing has reinforcement ridges on the inside wall which create rectangular cells which needs to fill out before the oil spill over to next cell/opening. Eventually you have so much oil there that it reaches one of the slots and flows out. There is a remote possibility that something leaking above drips right into one of the slots on top and after collecting inside of bell housing, flows out making it look like it is coming directly from inside but it is really not.

You have to really do some grease work here and look behind the engine from top and bottom to ensure you don't see any oil entering the bell housing or flowing around it before you deem RMS as the culprit.
Can u tell me exactly where the rear seal sits according to the pic???
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tranny.JPG (53.7 KB, 276 views)
rylis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 08:52 AM   #6
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 166957
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 887
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rylis View Post
Can u tell me exactly where the rear seal sits according to the pic???
It is not on there but it sits right at the end of crankshaft, #1 where #8 flwyheel bolts on to the crank.

Check this post, RMS is the part crank is sticking out in the picture couple of pages down.


What is the issue with replacing the rear main seal that I don't know about? I saw 2 posts here
thejulex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 12:37 PM   #7
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 200165
 
rylis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 12
Default

So just to make clear.. Is it No 17 that I'm after???
rylis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 12:39 PM   #8
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 200165
 
rylis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 12
Default

?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rear seal.JPG (65.8 KB, 271 views)
rylis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 06:41 AM   #9
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 200165
 
rylis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 12
Default

Ok. So till I get answer to my question about seal I'll tell full story (thats probably where should this thread had to be started from)...

After half a year since I bougth my Allroad, I've noticed minor oil leak after removing plastic bottom engine cover. It was so small so I didn't need any oil topups between complete oil change...
So after anoter year or so I thought its about a time to get rid of this issue so I went to mechanic (what a fool!!!)

To make the story shorter they repleced Valve Head gasket twice (as they thougth that's where the leak was coming from). Second time they put loads of silicone whitch is sticking out about quarter of inch (probably inside aswell !!!) and I end up with much harder oil leak (oil smell and even visible oil smoke) ....

I forgot to mention that after the 'fix' we run car for about an hour and didn't spot any leaking (ir ran idle, then about 3000-4000 rpm, and nothing)... until I took it on a road!!! After couple minutes of hard driving (I suspected the turbos) I returned to a garage and oil smoke was coming when we lifted the bonnet. U can only imagine how does bottom af engine was looked like...

And this is how I started my research and stopped on Rear Crankshaft Seal. I'm not a good writer but you should get the point. So any ideas or suggestion on what/how to check anything esle before I start removing tranny...

Many thanks for your inputs...
rylis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 11:21 AM   #10
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 119851
 
finiki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,334
Default

From what I read you need a new mechanic and likely new valve cover gaskets.
There are many places the 2.7 leaks oil from including but not limited to....
valve covers, cam seals, rear cam plugs and front prop seal. Any one of which a shop charges a small fortune to replace. All of the above were replaced on my 2002 2.7 before 100K. I have since purchased and installed the updated oil filler (breather cap). It is said it reduces the pressure on the gaskets.

Ex-PzW and others: any trick to getting a valve cover gasket to actually do it's job?

Last edited by finiki; 01-13-2011 at 02:58 PM.
finiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld
Audi R8




Paid Advertisement
 
 
 
Reply

Tags
27, 27t, a6, allroad, audi, auidi, cap, crank, filler, leak, locate, oil, replace, replacement, seal


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:13 PM.


Copyright 2014 AudiWorld.com Audi Enthusiast Community

Personal Contacts

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.